What to avoid

So, I have to say...when we got back last time and I asked my son what his favorite thing was, he said 'standing in line for the railroad (BTMRR) and talkin' to that guy'. :rotfl2:

Now, we waited in line for like 45 minutes (the longest line that trip), and Alex (7 at the time) was best friends with this guy after like 5. I was never so thankful for this guy (he was probably 18ish) because it gave me a moment of silence :rolleyes1

Best line from the boy though!

LOVE IT!!!!!! Isn't that what they remember???! The box, not the toy?! My DH was like this once with some kids in line....they saw his lanyard w/pins and that was about a 10 min. conversation about WDW trips and characters. When we finally got up to the attraction the mom said to DH, "Hey, wanna follow us to Space Mountain? This is the one break I've gotten all day!"

We think stitch's Great Escape is hands down the WORST thing in Disney!!!!! We love stitch but not this attraction. It is a waste of valuable MK space.

Stitch ride is terrible.

Tiki room

and I don't get the Hoop-Dee - do revue, warning, there are NO characters there. We took my son when he was 3 and he was looking for a character, just the weird actors in the show. Food is terrible, and the food isn't really kid friendly since my kid eats the usual kid fare, all this was was a bucket of chicken. I don't get why everyone raves about this show.
Book as many character meals as you can to avoid waiting on long lines in the park to see them. Trust me, you will thank me. This is my 15th trip to Disney coming up in a few weeks!
:cheer2:

Of all the trips the only thing I regret is the Luau at the Polynesian. The show was bad and the food was average.[/QUOTE

Every member of my family agrees with you except me, none of them will ever go again. So I guess I'll have to go by myself, loved the food and show

Okay, I'm bored and don't feel like cleaning :teeth: so chose to distract myself instead. These lists aren't broken down by reason (boring, scary, annoying, asinine, etc.), they're just alphabetical. I also DON'T guarantee the count accuracy. It's pretty close, but if I lost my place I did my best to find it again.

Interestingly, nearly 25% of the posters recommended avoiding Stitch. Walt Disney World ImaginEars - are you reading this? ;)

Parks:
3D in general 2
Aladdin's Carpets 2
American Adventure 1
Animal Kingdom 1
Ariel's Grotto 2
Astro Orbiter 7
Backlot Tour 4
Big Thunder Mountain 1
Block Party Bash 1
Buzz Lightyear 1
Canada movie 2
Carousel of Progress 7
China movie 3
Circle of Life movie 1
Country Bear Jamboree 6
Dinoland 4
Dinoland Midway 1
Dinosaur 14
Dumbo 6
Ellen's Energy Adventure 9
Enchanted Tiki Room 13
Fantasmic! 14
FantasyLand 1
Finding Nemo the Musical 5
France movie 2
Friendships 1
Goofy's Barnstormer 1
Gran Fiesta Tour/Tres Caballeros 3
Great Movie Ride 3
Hall of Presidents 3
Haunted Mansion 2
Indiana Jones Stunt Show 1
Innoventions 1
It's a Small World 5
It's Tough to Be a Bug 14
Jedi Training Academy 2
Journey Into Imagination 6
Journey to Narnia 9
Jungle Cruise 4
Kali River Rapids 1
Kilimanjaro Safari 2
Kilimanjaro Safari story line 1
Kim Possible 2
Liberty Belle steamboat 1
Lights! Motors! Action! 3
Mad Hatter's Tea Cups 5
Maelstrom 3
Mickey's House 1
Mickey's PhilharMagic 1
Minnie's House 1
Mission: Space 6
Muppets 3-D 3
Norway movie 2
Peter Pan 2
Pirates of the Caribbean 1
Primeval Whirl 3
Rafiki's Planet Watch 2
Rock 'N Roller Coaster 2
Rope Drop 1
Snow White's Scary Adventures 7
Soarin' 1 1
Sounds Dangerous 15
Space Mountain 7
Spaceship Earth 1
Speedway 1
Splash Mountain (at night) 1
Star Tours 2
Stitch's Great Escape 73
Test Track 1
"The Stunt Show" (?) 1
Toon Town 1
Tom Sawyer's Island 1
Tower of Terror 3
Toy Story Midway Mania 1
Triceratops Spin 3
Winnie the Pooh 4
World Showcase 1

Closed/closing attractions:
Alien Encounter 1
Honey I Shrunk the Audience 5
Swiss Family Treehouse 12

Restaurants:
ABC Commissary 5
AK Picnic Plan 1
Akershus Storybook Lunch 1
Boatwright's 1
Biergarten 1
Boma 2
Cantina de San Angel 1
Character meals 1
Chef Mickey's 4
Cinderella's Royal Table 2
Coral Reef 4
Cosmic Ray's 1
Crystal Palace 1
Everything Pop breakfast aromas 1
Food & Wine Festival 1
Hollywood & Vine 2
Hoop De Doo Revue 1
Mickey's Backyard Barbecue 3
Nine Dragons 1
'Ohana breakfast 1
'Ohana dinner 1
Olivia's 1
Pizza Planet 2
Pinocchio's Village Haus 1
Polynesian Luau 9
quick service restaurants 1
Raglan Road 1
Rainforest Cafe 1
Rose & Crown 1
San Angel Inn 1
Sci-Fi Diner 1
Teppan Edo 1
Yak & Yeti (ts? cs?) 1

Miscellaneous
Arriving late 1
Bottled water 1
Coronado Springs 1
Disney Quest 1
Dole Whip 2
Open-mouthed swimming 1
Prince Caspian 3
Putting your mouth ANYWHERE people touch 1
Surrey bikes 1
Turkey legs 1
Value resorts 2
Visiting with other people 1

Way back, somebody mentioned Ellen's Energy Adventure being a nice twenty minute break. It's nice to see, despite it being judged 'boring' by a few, that it's interesting enough to make forty or so actual minutes seem like only twenty ;)

Again, way back, someone was put out that they were yelled at for sitting down in a 360º theater with no seats. This is for Guest safety - both the sitters and anyone needing to exit quickly. The park maps, and probably signage outside both the China and Canada theaters, warn of no seats (and probably no sitting permitted).

The Dinoland Midway is appropriate if you know the back story. It's been posted on the DIS a few times, or it can be Googled.

We pretty much ride everything every time we go...except for Stitch..I have a 5yo DS and a 9 yo DD and they love anything loud and scary so SM and HM are always musts for them. I like Primevil Whirl...think it is fun! And the Ellen ride in EPCOT is entertaining enought for our kids and nice and cool enough for us to catch a quick catnap. We did absolutely HATE ABC Commissary and Hollywood and Vines buffet. YUCK! We love Teppan Edo and Yak and Yeti. Cosmic Rays food has always been really good. For a CS, you can get ribs and rotisserie chicken! We hate the bathrooms in Toon Town (guess thats not an issue anymore though with the revamp of FL)...We wont stand in a line for Peter Pan but will get FP for it. It is over quickly and isn't super exciting but seems to be a must do and a piece of traditional Disney, like Its a Small World. We don't, however, watch any of the movies in World Showcase.

This is a really interesting thread! Some people's responses surprise me, but everyone's different.

I don't have kids, but I was one and went to WDW several times then. The only ride I skipped was Space Mountain because I was afraid of roller coasters, and that one was in the dark. I eventually went on it when I was a teenager and now I love it. Though I'm a little freaked by what some of you have said when riding with the lights on...

I find it hard to pick things to avoid in WDW because even some of the so-called "lame" attractions, I still enjoy, either because I'm a nerd and I like learning (Carousel of Progress), or they hold a sense of nostalgia for me (It's A Small World).

However I do recall the Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous thing being skippable. I used to love the teacups, but I can't do spinning rides anymore because I end up all dizzy and lightheaded afterwards!

Um, yes you can. It's easy. Go in Jan. :thumbsup2 We've been in Orlando with coats and hoods up many times.
My comment was directed to the pp before me referring to heat and long lines and it just made me think of it again. I guess I should have quoted her. I've never been in June or July and never will. I did try end of Aug last year, week leading into LD weekend and it was empty. As I said before, I can stand heat or crowds, just not both.

Agree! We went to WDW for our honeymoon :bride: - end of February/beginning of March and the weather was great! In the 70s most days and perfect jeans and t-shirt weather (though we are from Seattle, so that is hot for us :) )

Also, :thumbsup2 glad to hear that it was pretty empty the week leading up to LD weekend because we are headed back this Aug 31 - Sept 9 and I've been worried about crowds (we already know it is going to be crazy hot and humid!)

Agree! We went to WDW for our honeymoon :bride: - end of February/beginning of March and the weather was great! In the 70s most days and perfect jeans and t-shirt weather (though we are from Seattle, so that is hot for us :) )

Also, :thumbsup2 glad to hear that it was pretty empty the week leading up to LD weekend because we are headed back this Aug 31 - Sept 9 and I've been worried about crowds (we already know it is going to be crazy hot and humid!)

Have a great time! :goodvibes It's a good time to go if you want to hit the water parks which we wouldn't want to do Nov-Feb.

While the weirdo in me still loves this ride, I do want to warn you about Dinosaur! at AK. The first time we went on this ride we asked the CM if it would be OK for our DD (6 at the time). He said as long as she isn't scared of the dark and loud noises, she'd be fine. And while he didn't lie, he also didn't explain that there are VERY LOUD noises in that ride and the robot dinosaur at the end of the rides literally roars so loud in you face it rattles your teeth:scared1:. You also get jostled around like your a milkshake. The whole thing proved to be too much for our DD and she was crying her eyes out by the end of it.

I am just seeing this thread now but I had to reply to this: my DH went on this while I waited b/c I am scared of EVERYTHING. Afterwards he said it wasn't bad at all that I needed to go on it if we made it back to AK that week. Of course he made sure we went back and drug me on it. I hated him afterwards, it was awful, it was so bad that that night I had nightmares from it and fell out of the bed and messed up my ear, it was literally all bruised and I couldn't sleep on that side for about 2 weeks!!! 2 years later he insisted my DD go on it w/him and I had to remind him of what happened to me! She pretty much hated him afterwards, too, LOL!!!

Agree with others that Luau isn't worth it. I was also surprised that my DD (age 6) was scared of the haunted house.

I think it is gone now, but I was also disappointed in Tarzan show.

This is interesting. While everyone has their own opinion, after responses come in and there is an overwhelming agreement on some things, that says something. The heavy hitters on here will definitely make me reconsider which rides we go on.

I avoid the turkey legs...just watching people gnaw on them turns my stomach. I know I'm in the minority on this one...but that's okay.[/QUOT

While researching for our first trip to Disney I thought the turkey legs sounded delicious. I couldn't wait to try one...until I actually saw people eating them.. Where do they get bright pink turkey? Seeing people chowing down on these things just makes me want to puke!

I was also underwhelmed with the Dole whips.

smoking turkey legs make the meat turn pink. lol.

I avoid the turkey legs...just watching people gnaw on them turns my stomach. I know I'm in the minority on this one...but that's okay.[/QUOT

While researching for our first trip to Disney I thought the turkey legs sounded delicious. I couldn't wait to try one...until I actually saw people eating them.. Where do they get bright pink turkey? Seeing people chowing down on these things just makes me want to puke!

I was also underwhelmed with the Dole whips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter