When Will the US Reach 100,000 COVID deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Gott and with most classsrs still in “homeschooling”. If we were closer I’d be tempted to go next Tuesday hoping it’s half empty.
The hotels spas are opening too. Im curious to see how they handle the breakfast buffet. Not sure if BW allows pools open but Berlin will...

Europa Park the 2nd largest theme park im Europe opens ina few days minus theatres and water park.

Interesting, just looked up the park as I'd never heard of it. Nice park. If you leave where your name implies...looks like it might be a park you visit. Like Disney, seems like masks are necessary for all. I suppose we're all getting used to wearing masks. At least those of us required to wear them anyway...and follow the rules But this is going to be a big problem at Disney World for sure. DH and I have lived in 3 states in our 25 year long relationship. Mostly in our native New Jersey, but also in the Silicon Valley for 2 years (best weather by far), and also 3 years in Orlando. Orlando's weather from about November through March can be quite lovely. May and October can also be very nice, albeit pretty hot. June through September however, are "surface of the sun hot". I just can't imagine wearing a mask, anywhere in that kind of heat.

We've had a very cool and rainy spring here in the Northeast. We hit the mid 80s here in NJ on Saturday. I needed to run to Lowes outdoor garden section for some supplies and everyone was wearing either a mask or bandana, as we've been guided to do. Some of those folks looked miserable, and I noticed many had lowered the mask below their nose, because it was too hot for them. They were mostly heavier people, or older folks. And factor in the number one thing to knock out Disney guests at that time of the year...heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Masks will exacerbate those who are brave enough to visit during those warm months.

I've seen other threads about "will you or won't you" go if you have to wear a mask. Count me in the "nope" group.

Interesting, just looked up the park as I'd never heard of it. Nice park. If you leave where your name implies...looks like it might be a park you visit. Like Disney, seems like masks are necessary for all. I suppose we're all getting used to wearing masks. At least those of us required to wear them anyway...and follow the rules But this is going to be a big problem at Disney World for sure. DH and I have lived in 3 states in our 25 year long relationship. Mostly in our native New Jersey, but also in the Silicon Valley for 2 years (best weather by far), and also 3 years in Orlando. Orlando's weather from about November through March can be quite lovely. May and October can also be very nice, albeit pretty hot. June through September however, are "surface of the sun hot". I just can't imagine wearing a mask, anywhere in that kind of heat.

We've had a very cool and rainy spring here in the Northeast. We hit the mid 80s here in NJ on Saturday. I needed to run to Lowes outdoor garden section for some supplies and everyone was wearing either a mask or bandana, as we've been guided to do. Some of those folks looked miserable, and I noticed many had lowered the mask below their nose, because it was too hot for them. They were mostly heavier people, or older folks. And factor in the number one thing to knock out Disney guests at that time of the year...heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Masks will exacerbate those who are brave enough to visit during those warm months.

I've seen other threads about "will you or won't you" go if you have to wear a mask. Count me in the "nope" group.
I have not been in a few years but have visited since it was just a deer park in childhood. Great hotels znd better food spa etc at hotels than much of Disney. Rides change or are added yearly as the park is just a showcase for the Mack family to sell rides to other parks. Some things are quite cheesy but it is good for a day or two outing and popular with French and Swiss too.

That is what keeping us home for the last 2 months has done. My area was just extended to March 28 but many areas in my state are starting to open. It is impossible to stay locked down any longer. Maybe you are fortunate enough to be in a position to stay home for as long as it takes but there’s 10s of million people who can’t.

Not disagreeing with you, but want to point out that there are tens of millions of people without any health insurance in the US, even before this pandemic. A lot worse before ACA.
And, the states with the highest uninsured are the states that have been last to close and first to reopen.

So at 97,647 today, I guess we're looking at Sunday or Monday to top 100K?
Maybe it will be Monday, that would be fitting.
I hear they are going to fly flags at half staff when we hit that milestone.
I hear it's a badge of honor, that we have so many.

Well, depending on where you get your "daily death total" (fun new exercise in our country), Worldometer has us at that 97,647. Johns Hopkins has us right around 96,000. Losing roughly 1,400 a day as of late, so yes....very well could hit that 100K on Memorial Day. It's as if the Universe is pranking us.

So at 97,647 today, I guess we're looking at Sunday or Monday to top 100K?
Maybe it will be Monday, that would be fitting.
I hear they are going to fly flags at half staff when we hit that milestone.
I hear it's a badge of honor, that we have so many.

My cancer is "the guy cancer" = Prostate. A search shows >>>

Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men in the United States. It is estimated that 33,330 deaths from this disease will occur this year. However, the death rate has dropped by more than half from 1993 to 2017 as a result of screening and treatment advances.

My PCa happens to be the top dog Gleason 10, only 1 in 20 have this aggressive one. After hearing about the "Covid-19 Badge of Honor reference" maybe my wife and I should now feel that my possible death from PCa would be included in the ever decreasing number of PCa deaths of fellow American men that results from the cancer metastasizing in pelvic area to brain causing horrific pain to be a Badge of Honor. Thinking about putting a flag in our front yard so DW can fly it at Half Staff when I kick the bucket. :sad2:

I don't want to rely on wishful thinking. 100,000 is starting to seem like a pretty low number if we add 2,000 per day to our present total.

That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.

I don't mean for this to sound snarky, but can you help me understand how it does work? Sorry if you explained and I missed it. Thank you.

My cancer is "the guy cancer" = Prostate. A search shows >>>

Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men in the United States. It is estimated that 33,330 deaths from this disease will occur this year. However, the death rate has dropped by more than half from 1993 to 2017 as a result of screening and treatment advances.

My PCa happens to be the top dog Gleason 10, only 1 in 20 have this aggressive one. After hearing about the "Covid-19 Badge of Honor reference" maybe my wife and I should now feel that my possible death from PCa would be included in the ever decreasing number of PCa deaths of fellow American men that results from the cancer metastasizing in pelvic area to brain causing horrific pain to be a Badge of Honor. Thinking about putting a flag in our front yard so DW can fly it at Half Staff when I kick the bucket. :sad2:

The poster you have quoted, I think, is making an exasperated and disappointed post. Have you read through this entire thread? I don't believe anyone that is posting here is happy about the deaths we have endured and yet will endure.

On the other hand, I want to tell you how sorry I am for your diagnosis. My stepfather died of metastatic prostate cancer. I will be thinking of you and your family.

The poster you have quoted, I think, is making an exasperated and disappointed post. Have you read through this entire thread? I don't believe anyone that is posting here is happy about the deaths we have endured and yet will endure.

On the other hand, I want to tell you how sorry I am for your diagnosis. My stepfather died of metastatic prostate cancer. I will be thinking of you and your family.

I've always felt that sarcasm is best served face to face but in writing it might help to include a visual aid. :rolleyes1 I had assumed as much in the post quoted and hoped it was apparent with my reply.

Very saddened to read about your stepfather and appreciate your thoughts.

I think sadly the US will hit that awful mark tomorrow. Currently 99,225. So sad. To think it was 23,000, 77,000 less, 40 days ago. What a huge toll.

I think sadly the US will hit that awful mark tomorrow. Currently 99,225. So sad. To think it was 23,000, 77,000 less, 40 days ago. What a huge toll.
I agree the very sad number will likely be hit tomorrow.
It's happened so fast that the magnitude of this loss really hasn't been fully grasped.

Got to hand it to these people creating a new meaning for Memorial Day: A day of remembrance of those who made sacrifices to improve the intellectual gene pool in the US.
Meanwhile, over in China, a new cluster case in a NE region has the government requiring lockdowns again.
This after the governor of Arkansas announced a high school pool party created a rash of new cases. Covidiots.

Meanwhile, in the state of Missouri, one hairstylist that continued to work with symptoms came into contact with 84 clients and another 56.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter