• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Oct 30--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Melissa -- If you are looking for a great character dining experience, I'd recommend any of the following:
Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort -- buffet with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy & Chip & Dale. Donald often appears where you wait to go in the restaurant, for a family picture. The price is pretty reasonable for the quality of food. We love it for brunch and then are often only in need of a late, light dinner

Cape May Cafe at Beach & Yacht Club -- Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale. Breakfast buffet is wonderful. You have to try Mickey waffles, whereever you go!

Crystal Palace -- Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet, Tigger. This is absolutely awesome. Another buffet. Food is very good and the character interaction is wonderful. You will have lots of photo opportunities.

Have fun planning! I always think it is almost as much fun as the trip itself.

BTW, Pleasure Island is located at Downtown Disney. One end of the DTD (Downtown Disney) complex has shopping, including Team Mickey (sporting goods, clothes) and World of Disney and Lego. You will love it here. Plan on spending a few hours. The kids love seeing all the huge lego creations, including a sea serpent that appears to come up out of the lake and an alien family sightseeing on earth and someone walking a bunch of dogs -- all made out of legos. There is also a Ghirardelli chocolate place and Wolfgang Puck's restaurant, and Basin (soaps, shampoos, etc.) and the Disney Christmas/Holiday store.

Pleasure Island is all themed nightclubs. They used to do fireworks at midnight but I hear they don't anymore. The Comedy Warehouse is great fun, as is Adventurers Club and 8 Traxx (80s music). So much to do and see. Better for adults, not really for kids. There's lots of other great stuff there too including Planet Hollywood, a movie theatre, fun shops, Cirque du Soleil, etc.

Oh, yeah, I could go on for hours :teeth:. Ask away with your questions! :cloud9:

I am overwhelmed with work right now. It is so frustrating how the whole "job" thing interferes with my training schedule! ;) I have not been able to work out since Monday. Hopefully I will be able to go to the gym tomorrow and get in a 60 minute run on the TM. My LR is 8 miles this weekend. We are having a garage sale on Saturday so the LR may have to wait until Sunday this week. We will be getting rid of a bunch of stuff just in time to get more stuff for Christmas. :confused3 Could someone please control my IC of internet shopping? My DH is wondering if the endless parade of packages that are coming every day will ever end. Yes, on December 25th dear. :rotfl:

The 2007 WISH marathon team is definitely shaping up. Put me down for the full in 2007! The DL 1/2 marathon will be my warm-up next year. :banana:

We are getting close now! Time for me to really concentrate on losing those 10 pounds before January.

Carrie - I know this is not what you want to hear becaue I didn't either but my PT told me that running will only hurt the hip area further and should be avoided until fully healed. She did clear me for distance walking though once the hip pain is gone for a full week. Personally I am going to give the walking a try this weekend even though the pain is still persistent. If Motrin and ice will work then I'm going forward with it until after the Marathon. Good luck to you!

The rumors of booked resorts is making me anxious even though I don't know if I'll be there for the Marathon or not this year :guilty:

My family loves the WL but if it means that I'd have to be on a bus at 3am versus walking over at 5am I'll forgo it.

Please help me decide where to book!

BTW - I'm an annual passholder if that makes a difference.

Thanks everyone!

2 Marathon Starts

It appears the full is quite full, thus the 2 starts. I'm not sure if they will put the fast runners on one side, the slower on the other, or put faster runners in the front of both sides and then fill each side back with progressively slower runners. I suspect the 2nd alternative.

The Red course is the old full marathon course. You start, after one mile exit to the right, wind back under the main road, go through the parking toll stalls, run straight into EPCOT, under the ball, past the fountain, hit the lake, turn left past Mexico, Norway and China, turn left and merge with the other start group behind China (it will be very congested, you can bet on this).

The Blue course is the old half marathon course. Start, run along, then up and over an overpass, lurn left, enter Epcot on a service road, run behind the land and Soarin, and enter World Showcase between Canada and the U.K. (there is a double brown gate near the red phone boxes). Turn right, past the U.K. over the bridge, past France, Morocco, Japan, Italy, U.S. and Germany, then turn right and merge with the other start group behind China.
Again, look for big congestion at the merge.

Both alternatives a very cool. Red gets the lights of entry, a gauntlet of supporters cheering as you enter EPCOT, the fountain, the lights between the fountain and the lake, the light of World Showcase, the torches, great music, and the sun just beginning to turn the horizon pink. Blue gets a quieter entrance to EPCOT, but more of world showcase's lights, torches, and music. Given a choice, I'm not sure which one I'd take, so either way when I see my number, corral, and Red or Blue, I'll be happy.

I can't wait to get the packet in the mail.

Craig

After my workout last night, I'm thinking there actually may be some hope for me for the 2007 1/2! :Pinkbounc :banana: :bounce:

I went out wogging at about 10 PM last night - yes, I truly AM a night person but it's great in my neighborhood at that hour! Anyway, using the step counting that Lisa suggested I did a PB of 16:30 for a mile! I know that's way slow for you big dogs, but not for this little pup! Since as recently as about 2 months ago, just before our move the very best I was able to manage was a 19 min mile, that's a big improvement. I'm chalking some of it up to the cooler temps and lower humidity, but I know some of it is all my hard work finally showing some results.

So here's my plan. There is no way I could go at that pace for the half right now. I'm not sure I could even make 5K yet at that pace, but maybe..... I'm going to spend some time to see if I can do that pace or better - I'd like to get to 15:30 for one mile on my speed walks before I try to increase the distance. I'll still do my long walks and xtrain but not worry as much about the pace as on the speed walks. At least at this point I'd be right behind the sweepers, and not so far behind I couldn't see them!

Sorry, long post here but I do want to share one other thing I recently realized. I have spent literally YEARS trying to conserve energy, slowing my pace down so I'd make it through the long days that I used to have to work that I believe has carried over into my training. I'm finding out that if I put that kind of thinking aside that I actually am stronger and can go faster than I seem to think I can! Feels like a breakthrough in my mental game to me! The thing that helped me to realize this was reading what all of you are doing and realizing that I could push myself harder now than I have been, and also about how great it feels when I do that.

I'm glad to see that a lot of you will still be around for 2007. I'll be looking forward to sharing the journey and I have decided that I'm just going to jump in and register earlly for tha half!

Oh, interesting about the 2 different starts for the full. Hard to say which one I'd choose if I had the choice. Either would be great!

Hey all! Looks like everyone is doing GREAT!

Melissa - Congrats on your ressies. My girls and nephew LOVE the character breakfasts. Chef Mickey is AWESOME!

Perfectmatch300 - Congrats on your pace. That is a huge improvement! :cheer2: Keep up the good work. I see the 1/2 in your future! :cool1:

Lisa - You are doing great! Here are some :banana: :banana: :banana: for you!

After looking at my November calendar :scared1: :faint: DH and I decided to move our double LRs to this weekend instead of next. We did 10 today at around a 10:30 min pace. We keep it slow b/c of tomorrows 19+ miles. I hope we can complete this b/c I am going out of town tomorrow for the weekend with my drama group, just don't know what time. I am pleased b/c I have this cold/sinus thing going on! :sick: But the run was very therapeutic.

Later,
Christa

Nancy, that is great! You will definitely be ready for 2007!! :flower:

Christa, good luck on your big miles tomorrow.

Heather, I hear you about those 10 pounds, I need to get down to business to drop mine too. I have been working so hard with the training aspect of this marathon, I just need to lay off the donuts and potato chips.

Alright, Wishers, here is my dilemma for my hotel, which option would you choose? First I am getting in late on Thursday and leaving Sunday at 4:00.

1. Swan for $159 marathon rate per night for Friday and Saturday night.

I would need to just get a Priceline hotel off site for the Thursday night because the rate at the Swan jumps to over $300 for that night, just can't pay that :earseek: . (Remember coming in late Thursday.)

Also, DH is a Westin Gold member which allows him early check-in (10 a.m.) and late check-out (4 p.m.) at the Swan, which means I would not have to pay for Sunday night.

Need to get up at 3:00 or earlier for bus.

Total cost: $400 + tax

2. Port Orleans Riverside for 4 nights Water View $155 per night

Total Cost $620 + tax

I don't need to switch hotels.

Need to pay for Sunday night even though we are leaving around 2:00 Sunday (showers are good before getting on an airplane!)

Can I walk to the start line from POR? If so, I can get 2 extra hours of sleep.

princessmomma--I ran into someone at POFQ last year after returning from the marathon. I would guess it was near 3pm. It seemed that Disney was very generous in honoring a late checkout for those participating in marathon weekend as checking out at 3am before the race isn't realistic--and tough to check out when your on property somewhere sweating bullets. :)

ETA: The couple seemed to indicate that they didn't pay for the extension.

Colleen

P.O. Riverside is right next to POFQ. Martha and I are walking to the start of the half on Saturday, I figure it's about 1.4 miles. We'll likely walk out of the lobby at 5:20 and be in the corrals easily by 5:45.

For Sunday, we'er both again walking to the start of the marathon, me to run, Martha to cheer me on (I've pointed out she should stay in bed, but she insists, lovely but crazy). It cannot be more than 600 yards from the lobby to the starting corrals, so I plan on leaving the lobby about 5:40.

No foolin' this is what we'll be doing on the race mornings.

Craig

So this is what my leg looked like post-op (classic--looks much worse than it is). I think they went overboard...but the idea was to keep the leg immobilized so that bleeding in the knee would stop and the holes would begin to heal and the knee recover from the initial trauma of being invaded.

Pic is prior to removal of dressing. I failed to get an after picture--before my knee swelled up like a balloon. No funny pics of me on crutches either.
47b5cf22b3127cce955946c4a3e900000016108Ibs2jhozb4

Knee swelling photos--notice the flatness of the quad on my left leg compared to my right---when squeezed..the right gets more defined. My left leg just stays the way you see it. :rolleyes: . I know I'm looking for every nuance of healing--so I can tell the difference in the photos as the swelling reduces. But it is still obviously swollen compared to the right knee. They did look exactly the same (just a small bit of puffiness on the left) prior to surgery.

10/29/05:
47b5cf22b3127cce9559470ee3bb00000016108Ibs2jhozb4

10/30/05:
47b5cf22b3127cce95594427a30b00000016108Ibs2jhozb4

11/1/03--red from icing (yes I had my leg covered)
47b5cf22b3127cce955943e5626200000016108Ibs2jhozb4

11/3/05--you can see my knee cap starting to reappear.
47b5cf22b3127cce955940b9a39700000016108Ibs2jhozb4

And for good measure---my Halloween princesses :cloud9:
47b5cf22b3127cce95594041a36f00000025118Ibs2jhozb4

OMG Lisa,

I had no idea!!

Your knee....well ... it looks....like it could FART!! :rotfl:

Lisa loves Pooh said:
princessmomma--I ran into someone at POFQ last year after returning from the marathon. I would guess it was near 3pm.

Wow, that is great Lisa, thanks for the info. I will definitely keep my POR reservation. I had checked yesterday and nothing was available, I called this morning just in case and I was surprised when she said had POR, so I booked it. This afternoon, I double checked to see if POFQ was available and again no moderates.

Thanks for the info Craig, I know I will love the extra 2 hours of sleep and DH and the kids should be able to get around pretty easily as well.

Colleen

I've got a couple of questions for the group.

The first concerns the info from the newsletter. If you sign up for the pace group will they have 2 groups now because of the 2 starting lines or do you think the starts are going to be determined by pace so therefore only one pace group will be needed?

My second question has to do with knee problems (Lisa, I hope you're recuperating well!) My knee is bothering me but it is on the back side of my leg. It feels like the tendon/ligament thing running on the inner back of my knee area is stiff and 'pulls' sometimes when I run. It doesn't hurt, yet. I can't find a reference on any website about what this problem may be caused by or what to do about it. Has anyone felt something like this?

Wow, I got stuck in an all day meeting and look at all that's happened!!!! They split the race in two and MelR made ressies :rotfl:

Lisa-- Great pics! That's about what my legs looked like postop in July. The bandages really get you alot of sympathy :rotfl2: Looks like your healing great!

OK, red or blue? I can still walk from PORFQ on either team, right? Oh they just can't be introducing new variables this late in the season. I might just explode :earboy2:

And the talk of codes has me panicked, too. Usually I'm all over it, searching, researching to get the most magic for my buck. But this time all I can focus on is the race. I have PORFQ on an AAA discount (don't recall the rate), room only. It sounds like maybe I should look into the discounted magic your way packages :confused3 But 1/5-1/8 will be me, ds and dx, then 1/8-1/12 is just me and DS. Seems like the "per person" rates for the magic your way require 2 adults. Like Christa, I am phone-phobic and resist calling and asking a million questions at all costs. What to do.

Well the meeting ate up my gym time and I can't go after work. Grrrr. I'm not in a very good mood.

I'm taking 2 hours vaca tomorrow for my LR so I can run the 5K on Sunday. I'm planning on 18 miles (it will take more than the 2 hours of course). Knee feels pretty good today.

I agree with lynne, the explosion in injuries/aches and pains is a sure sign that the mileage is creeping up! We'll all make it though :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm considering signing up for the 4:15 pace group. Anyone else?

Lynne-- I'm still hoping to run Boston someday, too. My hope is based soley on the fact that I am carrying around ~20 lbs of excess fat and if/WHEN I ever lose it I just might be able to qualify. At my age I know my performance alone won't increase that significantly with time. My qualifying time is 3:50 for the next 3 years.

Sunny

Helen - :love2: I LOVE YOU. You saved me over $100!!!!! (just enough for a new pair of shoes before the race) After I booked the trip w/ the travel agent, I got back online to read the boards. I got so focused on the red/blue start thing that I missed your post. Anyway, this morning, before my LR, I went back to read more thoroughly and found your post about the code!!!! Did I mention, I love you??? Anyway, after the run, I went to pay and brought up the code, she called disney and they moved me from POFQ to PO riverside. They upgraded my room, upgraded my tickets to include waterparks and it was over $100 cheaper. Also, because I was there, I was able to pay disney direct and that saved me from putting the trip on credit with finance charges if I didn't prepay for the whole thing in one month!!!!! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Thanks everyone for the character dining info! I'm going to have to read into it and pick the right one for the boy!

OK - now to training (I segued from the food discussion of course because I have burned over 2,500 calories in the last 18 - 20 hours.) Tues morn I did my 3 miles of speed work and then went mt. biking before lunch. Wed. evening, I ran 8 miles, while EC watched the boy (isn't she nice?) This morning we did 17 miles. My 8 mile pace was about 10:35 and our 17 pace was 10:57, which included a stop of at her house to drop of the dog, refill our water and pee!!. Our time without the stop was a little better. I think 10:46 which is pretty good for me. Anyway, I did feel pretty tired at the end of the 17 but it had not even been 24 since the 8, so I am pretty encouraged for goofy! Speaking of big dogs, I really run with one! ECs dog usually runs the first part of our LR. He did almost 10 miles today. He is about 90lbs! We feel so safe. He got thirsty at the end of the run and he wont drink from anyone's h2o bottle. I'm planning on buying him a collapseable water bowl to carry along. He's not my dog, but he is one of my training partners and I figure it is the least I can do. Don't worry about him today though, a semi ran EC and the big dog off into a ditch where the dog found a nice water hole. Noone was hurt thankfully. What a jerk driver!!

Jodi - you and your mom sound so funny! Sorry about her finger!

Coleen - Check out Helen's code YRE before you make reservations.

Lisa - You are incredible!!!!! Keep up the brave work!

Perfectmatch - That is so awesome when you have a mental training breakthrough! Good job!

Christa, Coleen, Sara, Craig - maybe if we all get different color starts, we can meet e/o at the big merge with signs like they use to pick people up from the airport!! :rotfl2:

Must go shower! Smell like a long run!!

Hello Everyone I am back and determined!!

I have been reading the weekly posts every single day, however I have been reluctant to post. There has been many exciting things happening in my life as well asnot so good things.

My baby just turned 2 on Halloween, so last week was jammed with party planning and cooking etc. Then this week at work I had a run in with another colleague who really hurt my feelings! All and All I am feeling much better after my runs!!!

I am still nervous about doing the full-- but It is something I want to do..

Finally booked POP today with the code Great price -- I am going with 3 girls from work I am the only one running.

I hope to check in daily for suppor and encouragement (everyone here always says the right things)

Well time to help the Kindergartener with homework and shower to watch Alias (my secret obsession) Disney is my real obsession.

::MickeyMo

Well I survived my first spinning class. It wasnt near as bad as I thought it would be. Although my privates would disagree :blush:

I have a questions for those of you who ride. Does your "you know" really get used to sitting on that seat? The instructor said it would but I find that hard to believe.

Nancy=great job on the pace! You will be cruisin' by 2007! :banana:

MelR-I'm proud you've made your reservations. Feels good doesn't it

Minnie-hope you are getting better so you can join us in January!! :wizard:

Lisa-eeeww! It does look like it could fart :rotfl:

Hope everyone continues to heal!!!

disnutt

In the back of your knee is the posterior cruciate ligament, one of 4 in the knee. You may be experiencing inflammation and pain in that ligament, or it could be the one in the middle of the knee, the anterior cruciate ligament.

Or, given the complexity of the knee, another ligament or tendon. Sorry I cannot be more helpful or precise, but don't think it's unlikely to have soreness there, it certainly can happen.

Good luck

Craig

Craig - When I was doing my LR today I thought about you and your post about questioning your sanity in regards to goofy. I remember that you said that you hit your target pace, but you felt like your legs were going to fall off. (I had the imagery of Forrest Gumps braces braking off and starting his long running career) Anyway, I thought about you because at about mile 10 I remembered that I had forgotten to eat gels as I had planned. I got back on the gel schedule, but i wondered about your 13 miles. Did you eat during that distance? If not, do you think it might have helped you sustain your energy? I always eat on longer runs, even during 1/2's. It may not make any difference for you. My EC didn't eat at all during the 17 miles!!!!!

TiffJ - I like to ride, but am no expert. Your you know gets used to it, but I still have pain with some of my rides. You might talk to your spin instructor about seat adjustment. You can also get the booty pad shorts. I would not ride w/o them. Terry (the brand) makes really cute riding skorts that are skirts with the riding short with pad underneath. I have two and wear them frequently. I have some very nice padded cannondale shorts that I wear for long rides. I wore them for the 100 mile ride. My you know hurt from about mile 25-50 and after that, I seemed to be fine. Good luck with spinning! Oh yeah, I also tilt the nose of my seat slightly down and sit with my sitting bones on either side of the back of the bike seat. You can buy a gel cover for your spin bike seat at wal-mart in the bike section, but I do not like to ride of soft seats because I feel that they cause me to make a lot more contact with the seat and a harder seat keeps more of my parts off the seat. That is all personal pref. and experimentation!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter