Wk of Oct 30--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

And for those concerned--the knee hasn't farted since the first day. I suspect--that was like a ballon--deflating...in anticipation of the knee swelling.

Lisa, :hug: ouch! the pics really are amazing to see the recovery process. I didn't realize you were going through all that. I thought it was less invasive looking.

Nancy, it is great news you are offering. I am so happy to hear of your progress. You seem to have a great plan working for you. Of course having trained in your swimming events makes you know what you need to do to work at something.

MelR congrats on taking that big dog step! You did it!

Thanks MelR-I already have my eye on those wonderful padded shorts. I will try some different things. I am excited to get into cycling. I can't wait to actually get me a bike & hit the road.

Ahh, MelR, I feel special, glad it helped.

And Craig thank you for the red blue descriptions, I got all sad thinking that I'd miss out on something in Epcot if I got the wrong one but now I'm not so worried.

I'm going away this weekend so had to fit my long run in today - technically I was supposed to do 16 miles, but as the running guru here said 'ah these things are meant to be fiddled with' so I knocked it down to 12 and I'll do 16, then 18 in the next two weeks (I've had three 'resty' weeks with not so long runs and a 15-16 miler before them so not worried about doubling up). It was a toughie though (not quite stonkerish), had to walk a lot of it - but then I worked out I'd run 45 miles this week which I think is one more than we run on our hardest week so that might explain things!!!! I need to practise my walking speed anyway as I'm pretty sure I'll walk at least 2 miles on the big day (I'm thinking 20-22 sound good!). Anyway, off to the airport in half an hour and haven't packed yet so better go - yes, Chimera-Mel, I'm on a plane again, I told you it wasn't worth me adopting you!!! Helen

TiffJ said:
Thanks MelR-I already have my eye on those wonderful padded shorts. I will try some different things. I am excited to get into cycling. I can't wait to actually get me a bike & hit the road.

what's this I hear about padded shorts???? :listen:

Do they help make your tush not hurt on the bike?

I missed a few days and there's over 140 posts in this thread :earseek:

Took me an hour to read through everything.

I'm getting as nervous as many of you. I stopped questioning my sanity about Goofy-ing these events a long time ago. There's no question. I must be :crazy:

Lisa - the pix of you knee brought back unpleasant memories. I had my knee scoped about 15 years ago. Took out the meniscus in my right knee. Haven't had any problems since with that leg. It's the left leg that's the problem now. But I remeber those swollen knee days.

Although my quad is getting better, it's taking forever. I'm not very patient, especially with less than 10 weeks to go. I've given it almost three weeks of non-impact rest (doing mostly exercise bike and elliptical). It's not really a sharp pain, more of a dull, annoying pain. I'm pretty sure I injured it on a downhill slope. Not trying to go too fast, but trying to slow down so I didn't go head first down the hill.

I'm going to test it out on Saturday. I'm planning a wog around a trail that is 8.4 miles. Hopefully this will give me a hint of my time for the longer distances. I'll know how much more work I need to do to stay in front of the sweepers. My goal for both races is to finish. Since I've never done either distance before (10 miles was my longest), whatever time I get will be a PR.

Good luck to everyone who's trying to recuperate or work through injuries :grouphug:

Terri

Lisa - The padded shorts do help your booty not hurt on the bike, but..... They make you butt look bigger too!!!!! Oh the price we pay for comfort.

The terry skorts hide the shorts and pad. I think they are the way to go. The only drawback is they look kindof girly for the mt. biking trails and they look funny with the cycling shoes.

MelRhoads said:
Lisa - The padded shorts do help your booty not hurt on the bike, but..... They make you butt look bigger too!!!!! Oh the price we pay for comfort.

Indoor bike--so know worries on who's gonna see baby got back. :rotfl2:

TEK said:
Lisa - the pix of you knee brought back unpleasant memories. I had my knee scoped about 15 years ago. Took out the meniscus in my right knee. Haven't had any problems since with that leg. It's the left leg that's the problem now. But I remeber those swollen knee days.

Do you recall how long that lasted? And when your quad--started looking like..a muscle...again? I can feel the "burn" from the exercises as the muscle rebuilds--and I would kill to be able to stretch the quad. I don't bend far enough just yet to get a good stretch. Heck--I can barely get into the position to even attempt a stretch.

I have to say I am amazed and astonished that the little buggar pain on the tibia is gone to never come back. :banana: That is tooo cool :).

Call me crazy--I'm hopin' for later to have a meniscus issue with the right leg too. I had a Plica which the doc kindly removed as "preventive orhtopedics". So I most likely have one in the right knee. They don't do surgeries just to remove it unless it is a problem. And when it is a problem...it's a doozy. :earseek: . Basically, the sucker just grows and grows and grows. One girl in therapy yesterday--her plica had already dented her bone and she was told if she didn't have surgery--in 10-20 years...she wouln't be walking. :scared1: .

Nancy - Woo hoo on that pace!! 2007 marathoners had better watch out! (FYI, progress is just as exciting for everyone! Don't get diwn on yourself ofr not being fastest!)

Lisa - Nice legs! ;) Yikes, does not look like fun, though!

Yes, solo should be doing his 14 today. Where are you solo???

OK. I spent my 45 min at Curves last night. I did some light jogging in place on teh pads and my hip felt ok. Still feels good this morning. Oh, I hope this is a good sign for tomorrow.

Lisa -- OUCH!! Well, I am sooo glad you are recovering so well!

Tiff -- Great job on the spinning class. I experience the "ouch" factor on the recumbent or stationary bike, too, so I can't imagine what it would be like in a spinning class.

Well, I am glad to report I was able to do my 40 minutes last night and then 4 sets of stride/speed drills. My knee was so odd yesterday -- it kept clicking and rubbing and it felt like it had to "crack" like a knuckle -- I think someone else described this sensation a couple of weeks ago. I think wearing heels all day yesterday did not help. Most of the first mile was painful last night and I kept thinking "I cannot do this. What if my legs feel like this on 1/7?" And once again I reminded myself of all you have taught me and the encouragement and just figured I'd push on, even if my pace wasn't great. Lily's "You have to put in the steps" became my mantra. :teeth: Thanks Lily! :banana:

I am still astonished at the concept that the human body can feel so different from one day to the next or even one hour to the next. My legs literally felt like lead and I had no energy at all whatsoever. My time ended up being 52:04 for 3.24 miles (16:04 pace), so it is good to know I can pull that off even when I am at what felt like my "worst".

I am now convinced that I have to be more proactive about fueling my body. Get back to taking my vitamins every day (they got packed when my office was being painted/carpeted, and I haven't put them back on my desk yet) and eat something energizing before I leave my office to go work out.

Tonight is xt (probably elliptical) and my LW of 6 miles will be Sunday instead of tomorrow, I think, due to time issues.

Hope everyone else is having the gorgeous mild weather we are having here, and that it makes your training so much more pleasant! :sunny: I am really excited thinking about the fact that 3 weeks from now my walks and LW will be at Disney's Hilton Head resort. WOOHOO!!!!!

plutosmyfav said:
Hey, where's Solo?????

Oh you know us parties of one... hiding in the back of the room as usual ;) Actually, my delacate work/school/training balancing act has been very unbalanced this week so I have been neglecting my posting duties. :guilty:

Anyhow, it sound like most people are moving along really well. Hmm... maybe hobbling along is more apt for our group. :) I'm starting to feel guilty for running fairly injury-free at this point other than the usual aches and pains. It does sound like everyone is doing what they need to in order to get healthy again-- so Great job everyone!!

In spite of a crazy schedule, I did manage to get all of my short runs in: Sunday was a 45 minute (4/1) and did 5.06 miles for a pace of 8:54/mile.
Monday was a 40 minute (3/1), which I did on the indoor track at the gym, so I don't have distance or pace, but it felt fine, if not endless.
Wednesday was another 45 minute (4/1) and managed 4.88 miles for a pace of 9:12/mile.
All in all, very happy with things. It seems I am settling in nicely right around 9:00 miles now that I am really watching my running pace.

This morning was supposed to be my 14 miler. I was very excited about it. I passed on going out with friends last night in order to get to bed right on time. I set all my running clothes out-- even my gels and shoes-- all ready to go. I set my alarm. With the exception of a very fussy Newfie :dog2: for about an hour, I slept OK. Sadly, I was awoken not by my alarm, but instead by my roomate at 8am: "Hey, didn't you have to run this morning." I set my alarm for 5:15pm instead of 5:15am. Drat. I guess that means I get to run my 14 miler before going to work bright and early tomorrow morning. :guilty: Sigh.....

Carrie- Sorry I can't provide my usual pre-long run inspiration this week. I would try to get it in this afternoon, but I am swamped at work. Something about a dratted Husky invasion....

Lisa- Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww to those pics.I won't ever complain about tendonitis again.

I still want my race packet!!!! It startling to realize that I leave for the world in 61 days and the race is 65 days from today (or so). Really exciting and really scary at the same time.

Well, I better dash...
Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

solotraveler said:
Something about a dratted Husky invasion....
Mush you's Huskies! Oh, I mean darn Huskies! (Sorry, my gold and black blood showign through.) Forgot that was this weekend. Should have put it on my plans to cheer for my team and have a mini WISH meet. A very rare weekend home, though, so I've made no plans, but run tomorrow. Good luck on your run. COngrarts on being injury free! No need for guilt!

Lisa - It's been awhile. If I remember correctly, I was on crutches for about 4 days, then I was allowed to do light walking and the ortho gave me several exercises to do at home. I didn't have any PT, just the exercises. I wasn't allowed any hard activity for about a month. But then I was fine.

I can't really answer about the "defined" quad issue. I don't think I've ever had a sculpted quad :teeth:

But other than getting some fluid on the knee every now and then, and the achy-ness of arthritis, it hasn't given me any major troubles. The one warning the doc gave me was that I'd probably get arthritis in the knee earlier than most people because of the meniscus being removed. The doc was going to try to reattach it, but said the meniscus was too frayed to do so. It was either remove it or use a synthetic to take its place, which would've had me in an immobilizer for 8 months. :rolleyes: Nope - just take it out!

technology has come so far from back then. Hopefully you'll be up soon and better than ever! :)

Terri

Morning all! :wave2: Just checking in - did 4 miles yesterday. Today my legs just feel tired - not sore, but tired, so will do a light walk this afternoon. Tomorrow AM is my 14 mile LR, and DH's 20 mile LR. :scared1: I'm about to enter unknown territory - the farthest I've ever been was the half last year. I would be thrilled with 14 - 14:30 pace. We'll see... ;)

Hope everyone has a great training day and :wizard: for the LR's this weekend!!!

STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!

So I've been struggling with the W3/R2 deal for about a month now. Wed night was better...I thought maybe it was starting to come together. Today was awful! I did 5 miles today out of sheer stubbornness. I hadn't shorted a run yet, but today I skipped one running interval entirely and shorted 2 others. And I think I met my IC. Probably wouldn't have finished without her 'cause I sure wanted to turn around after the first mile.
All whining aside, my pace was excellent for me! Avg was 13:56, splits are:

Mile 1 14:08
Mile 2 13:28
Mile 3 13:43
Mile 4 13:50
Mile 5 14:36 (this is where I skipped an interval)

Am I too inconsistent...or maybe trying to go too fast?

Lily...congrats on your moderation! :bounce: You have so many titles now...moderator, dog catcher :paw:

Lisa...all I can say is owie! :wizard: for fast healing.

Solo...sorry about the alarm thing...that's my nightmare for the half :)

Susan...great to see you back! :wave2:

Lynnda...good luck with your LR tomorrow!

Cam...I think you've been reading my mind. I have been fueling on Halloween candy this week, so maybe that's where my issues are coming from. HHI sounds great...be sure to give us a trip report!

Helen...maybe you can adopt me after you write your marathon training book. I think I'll especially like the chapter about stonkers and how to treat them...go back to bed and eat chocolate!

Carrie...are these Washington huskies or connecticut? Or I'm totally off the mark? Good luck with the hip and the LR tomorrow.

Tiff...I can't do those skinny little bike seats very well. I have too much real estate hanging over each side. I have gone to WalMart and gotten the larger...ummm...elderly people's tricycle seat and attached it to a previous mountain bike I had. They do have those gushy gel coverings for the skinny seats, too.

Good news is that my schedule has changed and I don't work at all on Fri now. Of course, I've lengthened Tues and Thurs to make up for it, but I think I'll like this better overall. We're going to WDW for a weekender at SSR tonight. Supposed to be meeting BIL and SIL, but BIL was in the hospital for diverticulitis last week. He wanted to come anyway and relax after his experience, but called last night and said SIL had been admitted to Celebration Health for chest pain, vomiting. She was in a conference at CSR and started not feeling too good. She's too be released today...current theory is gallstones. I'm not sure they'll want to hang around much after that.

TTFN! :wizard: for aches, pains and stonkers!

chimera said:
STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!

So I've been struggling with the W3/R2 deal for about a month now. Wed night was better...I thought maybe it was starting to come together. Today was awful! I did 5 miles today out of sheer stubbornness. I hadn't shorted a run yet, but today I skipped one running interval entirely and shorted 2 others. And I think I met my IC. Probably wouldn't have finished without her 'cause I sure wanted to turn around after the first mile.
All whining aside, my pace was excellent for me! Avg was 13:56, splits are:

Mile 1 14:08
Mile 2 13:28
Mile 3 13:43
Mile 4 13:50
Mile 5 14:36 (this is where I skipped an interval)

Am I too inconsistent...or maybe trying to go too fast?

Sounds like a really good 5-miler, in spite of the pain. :)

I don't think you are inconsistant at all. If you put that interval back in to your fifth mile, I am guessing that all of your miles would generally be somewhere between 13:30 and 14:00. That's a WHOLE lot more consistant than I am!!!!! If you were all over the chart-- say a mile at 11:30, then one at 14:30, then one at 12:20-- then I'd be a little more concerned. But it sounds like you are doing great.

Oh, and as for alarms... two plus a wake-up call on race day. Seriously. :teeth:

Have fun this weekend!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

I did 60 minutes outside last night around the neighborhood. I ran most of the time, and I am very pleased with how my running is coming along. I have pain in my right hip today. I do not know whether it is from my sudden increase in running vs. walking or if it is from my new ASICS. I plan to wear my Mizuno Wave Riders on my 8 mile LR tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Mel - I would trying slowing down the first mile or 2. Oh, and it's Michigan Tech Huskies. :teeth:

ETA: If you beat the sweepers and had a great pace on teh stonker, was it really such a stonker. ;) You could have qualified for the Boston if you felt good!

Newsflash!!! DH came home from his run last night and told me I had to get running again soon. He astarts too fast and burns himself out. Nice to know I'm good for something, even if it's the old ball and chain. :teeth: Hope he'll remeber this when I'm going a turtle's pace tomorrow. I do not want to push too hard first time out!

Cam-- I've had so many of those "what if I feel like this on race day" thoughts, too. I guess that is a big part of the whole training. We're training the mind as much as the body. Great job, despite the knee clicks!

Solo-- sorry to hear you're so busy, but great to see your still moving and moving fast! :moped:

Chimera-- Oh I'm so glad you have an IC, too! We can complain about them when they aren't listening :rotfl: But I agree with Solo, doesn't look like a Stonker on paper! Great job.

Heather-- definitely try the other shoes. Hope the pain is gone :wizard:

I took a half day today to do my LR. I did 19 miles in 3:19:23 (10:30). I learned two things:

1) The same thing I keep learning and forgetting: slowing the pace takes the pain and discomfort out of the LR. I seriously could have done a couple more today whereas last weeks 14 miler had me beat up by mile 8. Sure hope I catch on to this lesson soon. I haven't uploaded my Garmin yet but I know I started out with 11:20 and 10:50 for my first two miles. It made all the difference in the world. I didn't feel my first pangs of fatigue until mile 13. I didn't even need the IC for a 19 miler!

2) I started out with an odd pain in my right ankle, outer shin area (not shin splint). I though just as Cam "what if this happens on race day?" cause I knew I couldn't go too far with it. But then I remembered I used to get the same pain when my rollerblades were too tight. So I stopped and adjusted my laces and sure enough the pain went away. I also shifted my fanny pack which helped. So lesson #2: experiencing odd pain migh mean equipment needs realignment!

I rushed to the gym to shower and then to the office (arriving 40 minutes later than I said I would). I had 10 minutes before a meeting so I ran to the caf grabbed some ice and proceeded to elevate my leg and ice my knee for a few mintues before the meeting. A colleague walked in and said, "Oh no, what happened?" I tried to quickly explain that it was nothing, just a precaution, but she went and got the other meeting participants and brought the meeting to my office so I could ice my knee :blush: I felt very silly, but very grateful I got my icing in! :p

So tomorrow is serious rest and then I have a 5K on Sunday. Woo Hoo. Knee is feeling splendid :goodvibes

Sunny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter