Are you still getting take-out?

Do you still get take out?

• Yes, we get take out

Votes: 178 88.6%
  • No, we do not get take out

Votes: 23 11.4%

• Total voters
We've done delivery, curb side pickup, and drive through multiple times a week since this started. We haven't worried about reheating food and haven't worried about contamination on outside surfaces.

I have done a curbside pickup, contactless delivery or drive-thru at least once a week since mid-March.

We didn't order anything the 1st month but have ordered about once a week the last few weeks, pizza, local mexican, and Cheesecake factory which my son wanted for his HS graduation dinner. It was supposed to be an actual dinner with 15 people, but instead just us 4 at home, doing the same thing we've done for 2.5 months. We do curbside pickup, wash our hands, and eat it. No reheating.

We've done takeout 3 times now, but only hot stuff that could be dumped out of the original containers and microwaved to kill any virus contamination. But just a couple days ago both my kids had a rough time with school so I took them to Dairy Queen because they've been begging for it and I knew it would lift their spirits. I'm so nervous about it that up until that day I had refused to allow them to get anything takeout that could not be heated--no icees, no frosties, no ice cream cones. I'm still feeling icky about it but it did help my kids feel better and gave them a sense of normalcy.

We have gotten take out several times throughout all of this from chains and local places and have now been inside 4 restaurants since they have reopened.

when we get take out, we don’t transfer or reheat, but we also don’t do the wiping down groceries before they come in or lysoling mail.

We have just started going through the drive thru and getting curbside delivery again. We didn't through this whole thing until the last week or two. I was very nervous about it. I still don't like going to places that don't wear gloves or masks. Before Coronavirus we would get carryout or eat out about once a week. I don't know when I'll feel comfortable dining in at restaurants again.

We just started. We did bagels first, then a big Thai delivery, and yesterday, cookies from a nearby bakery. For me, it's not the food itself that is a concern, it was the handling of the packaging and whatnot. I'm a little less antsy about that now, and will probably start getting takeout meals a few more times since I am tired of cooking!

Nope. Dh is a great cook so there’s really no need since we’re stuck at home.

Dd gets drinks at Dutch Bros and Starbucks.

Yes- through this entire time. Moreso than usual to support local businesses too. Curbside and drive-thru and frequent ice cream stops from various different places.

We live in a shore area and business is hurting. We average 3-4 take out meals a week. There are more and more restaurants opened and this weekend there are lots more people here.

We've been ordering from a couple of small local places. We just transfer the food from the containers, throw the containers away, wash our hands really well and reheat the food.

We've done takeout 3 times now, but only hot stuff that could be dumped out of the original containers and microwaved to kill any virus contamination. But just a couple days ago both my kids had a rough time with school so I took them to Dairy Queen because they've been begging for it and I knew it would lift their spirits. I'm so nervous about it that up until that day I had refused to allow them to get anything takeout that could not be heated--no icees, no frosties, no ice cream cones. I'm still feeling icky about it but it did help my kids feel better and gave them a sense of normalcy.
We've been ordering from a couple of small local places. We just transfer the food from the containers, throw the containers away, wash our hands really well and reheat the food.
Since a previous poster has said this is needed (reheat food), but hasn’t been able to share the proof she says is out there, will one of you please share? Again, not being argumentative, but I have yet to see this advice and if it is out there and I’ve missed it, I need to rethink ordering the salad.

Since a previous poster has said this is needed (reheat food), but hasn’t been able to share the proof she says is out there, will one of you please share? Again, not being argumentative, but I have yet to see this advice and if it is out there and I’ve missed it, I need to rethink ordering the salad.

There really isn't any proof. We get takeout 1-2 times a week, sometimes cold. It has never crossed my mind to worry about reheating anything.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/08/822903487/how-safe-is-it-to-eat-take-out
The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 is primarily spread via droplets expelled through coughing or sneezing, says William Schaffner. If you're standing too close (within about 6 feet) to an infected person when the person coughs or sneezes, or even possibly when the person speaks or exhales, viral droplets could make their way to your nasal passages and mucous membranes. Or if you touch a surface with droplets on it and then touch your eyes, nose or mouth, that could also lead to infection.

All this means that transmission via food is incredibly unlikely, say both professors Schaffner — unless you actually inhaled your food. "Even in the so unlikely scenario of virus through a sneeze or cough coming into contact with, say, a salad, that would enter the body through the throat," William Schaffner says.

Yes a few times a week. Cooking 2-3 meals a day and the endless dishes that goes with it gets old really fast. It’s nice to have a break sometimes.

Yes, we have been doing takeout a couple times a week since the day our restaurants were forced into survival mode. We love our tiny non-chain local restaurants and are doing what we can to support them. We were comfortable with their high safety standards prior to this mess, so we have remained as loyal as we can to them. They have been very creative with how to (hopefully) survive this. I personally think my risk is much higher at the grocery store (no grocery delivery here) than at a tiny restaurant counter or curbside.

I do live in an area with relatively low virus spread. If I lived in a big city, I would probably think differently.

There really isn't any proof. We get takeout 1-2 times a week, sometimes cold. It has never crossed my mind to worry about reheating anything.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/08/822903487/how-safe-is-it-to-eat-take-out
The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 is primarily spread via droplets expelled through coughing or sneezing, says William Schaffner. If you're standing too close (within about 6 feet) to an infected person when the person coughs or sneezes, or even possibly when the person speaks or exhales, viral droplets could make their way to your nasal passages and mucous membranes. Or if you touch a surface with droplets on it and then touch your eyes, nose or mouth, that could also lead to infection.

All this means that transmission via food is incredibly unlikely, say both professors Schaffner — unless you actually inhaled your food. "Even in the so unlikely scenario of virus through a sneeze or cough coming into contact with, say, a salad, that would enter the body through the throat," William Schaffner says.
Thank you! An earlier poster said it could be found on the CDC website and I haven’t been able to find it. I’ve been finding what you did. So I’ll happily continue to order take out the way we have.

I actually don't think you can. I've tried looking it up and can't find anything. If it exists, will you please share? I'm not being argumentative - if it's really recommended, I want to change the way we're doing things; especially what we order.

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/newsletter/food-safety-and-Coronavirus.html
Well, 138° or whatever is the temperature that kills The Virus. But there is zero evidence according to the CDC that the virus is transmitted by food.

We didn't start until about 2 weeks ago, our first trip was for Pizza Hut to go. You would have thought we had won the lottery we were so excited. We had the guy put it in the back floor and when we got home we took everything out of the box and put it on plates and reheated it. We have to reheat everything any way because we live at least 20 min. from the closest place. Last week we went wild. Hubby took the dog to get her hair cut and he got his cut and we figured while he had been exposed we would go by our local taco stand and grab lunch. I sat in the car with the dog for 45 min. while hubby went in and ordered then he wandered around outside waiting for the order. They were having issues with one woman before him who had a huge order. Again, we brought it home and took it out of the wrappers and reheated it. We stopped by Chik-fil-a yesterday while out picking up my prescriptions and brought that home. That is more take out then we did before all this started.

My son is home from college and driving DoorDash bc his internships fell through. He could drive 12 hours a day and be busy and evenings and weekends are slammed. He made $90 in 3 hours yesterday! So looks like lots of people have been ordering and continue to do so. I don't think anyone has come forward and said they think they got the virus from takeout.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter