• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

College parents...fall semester?

The University of Illinois letter is interesting to me, inasmuch as 50% of their students live in non-university housing. They can send home the kids in the dorms but I know for a fact the kids in rental apartments are all moved in for the year and will not be leaving. Almost all of the classes are already online.

The other thing of interest to me from that letter is that of course nowhere in it do they mention the fact that there are currently 3 hospitalizations for covid in Champaign county. https://www.news-gazette.com/corona...cle_c75a98dc-4cf4-52e6-88b5-e4ca34d9185d.html

Even though Umass-Amherst and the other schools are remote in this area, and the dorms are closed... there were still many many college kids moving back into the area (Umass started 8/24). Many of these kids have leases they signed back in June, so here they are... now we shall see how this weekend goes.

Even though Umass-Amherst and the other schools are remote in this area, and the dorms are closed... there were still many many college kids moving back into the area (Umass started 8/24). Many of these kids have leases they signed back in June, so here they are... now we shall see how this weekend goes.
June! My daughter needs to sign a lease for next May in two weeks.

June! My daughter needs to sign a lease for next May in two weeks.
Check out Hotpads and call around to see if the demand is really there or if they are just pressuring her to get her locked into a place. We called a place in June that pretended they had only one apartment left to make us panic but I could see online there was no demand in the area and held out.

Check out Hotpads and call around to see if the demand is really there or if they are just pressuring her to get her locked into a place. We called a place in June that pretended they had only one apartment left to make us panic but I could see online there was no demand in the area and held out.
Nope, it’s a well known fact at UD, there are students who camp out overnight at some of the property management offices every fall the night before they open. Heck, you need to pay your on campus housing deposit on October 1st. Everyone wants to be near the campus and the best options fill up quickly.

Nope, it’s a well known fact at UD, there are students who camp out overnight at some of the property management offices every fall the night before they open. Heck, you need to pay your on campus housing deposit on October 1st. Everyone wants to be near the campus and the best options fill up quickly.

Deleware? Dartmouth? Dayton?

Yeah -- it's very helpful in a thread like this to specify where your kid goes to school. The comments have much more value that way.
Actually for content I could’ve just said my daughter’s university, since if anyone knew about the housing situation at the university of Delaware, they’d recognize UD. On the subject, I remember looking up UCF because I never heard of it except I vaguely remember a Florida friend saying that’s where her daughter goes and it rang a bell.

Actually for content I could’ve just said my daughter’s university, since if anyone knew about the housing situation at the university of Delaware, they’d recognize UD.
"Delaware" is easier to type.
On the subject, I remember looking up UCF because I never heard of it except I vaguely remember a Florida friend saying that’s where her daughter goes and it rang a bell.
Yep. UCF is the largest public university in the US -- almost 70,000 fulltime students in normal times. But nobody knows about it. Best kept secret kind of thing.

"Delaware" is easier to type.Yep. UCF is the largest public university in the US -- almost 70,000 fulltime students in normal times. But nobody knows about it. Best kept secret kind of thing.
Actually UD is easier to type. UCF student population is mostly from Florida (92%), I don’t know why I would’ve heard of it, except for my friend’s daughter (and I forgot the initials so wasn’t quite sure where she was going).

Actually UD is easier to type.
Except, as we saw, not everyone knows what UD means.

My DD practiced at UD's legendary figure skating rink during regional championships one year, but I probably would have guessed some other college from UD (as many would from UCF probably).
UCF student population is mostly from Florida (92%)
Right, most Florida public universities are like that for a number of reasons. First of all, there is a significant difference in costs for out of state students. The estimated total cost per year for Florida residents is a little under $18,000; OOS is almost $34,000.

Many Florida families invest early in Florida Pre-Paid tuition and get significant savings. We initially invested less than $10,000 and that's going to cover about $30,000 in tuition and fees over the first 4 years. You can also pre-pay dorms, but we didn't.

Also, many students qualify for Florida Bright Futures scholarships which pay 75%-100% of tuition and fees based on test scores. Pre-paid can be used to some degree with some out of state or private universities, but Bright Futures can only be used at Florida state colleges and universities...and that's huge.

Actually for content I could’ve just said my daughter’s university, since if anyone knew about the housing situation at the university of Delaware, they’d recognize UD. On the subject, I remember looking up UCF because I never heard of it except I vaguely remember a Florida friend saying that’s where her daughter goes and it rang a bell.
Except, as we saw, not everyone knows what UD means.

My DD practiced at UD's legendary figure skating rink during regional championships one year, but I probably would have guessed some other college from UD (as many would from UCF probably).
Right, most Florida public universities are like that for a number of reasons. First of all, there is a significant difference in costs for out of state students. The estimated total cost per year for Florida residents is a little under $18,000; OOS is almost $34,000.

Many Florida families invest early in Florida Pre-Paid tuition and get significant savings. We initially invested less than $10,000 and that's going to cover about $30,000 in tuition and fees over the first 4 years. You can also pre-pay dorms, but we didn't.

Also, many students qualify for Florida Bright Futures scholarships which pay 75%-100% of tuition and fees based on test scores. Pre-paid can be used to some degree with some out of state or private universities, but Bright Futures can only be used at Florida state colleges and universities...and that's huge.
Exactly, not everyone knows UD or UCF, my friend‘s daughter qualified for bright futures and is going for free, I wasn’t sure which college it was since there seems to be so many. Many in the NE stick to the upper east coast, I honestly only know of one person who went to college in Florida (softball, lasted one semester). Wait, I know of another who graduated from Flagler, but her grandparents live there and the whole family has been planning on moving down there for years (3 down, 4 to go).

UCF is the largest public university in the US -- almost 70,000 fulltime students in normal times. But nobody knows about it. Best kept secret kind of thing.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I had no idea that a college could be that big. A large population of commuting students, I assume?
To be honest, I wouldn't have even known of UCF if not for college football.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but did you see where Northeastern sent 11 students home with no refund? As a parent, I would be fuming at my child.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I had no idea that a college could be that big. A large population of commuting students, I assume?
To be honest, I wouldn't have even known of UCF if not for college football.
They have a lot of commuters, of course, because they're located in a major city. They also have three campuses in the Orlando area -- main campus, the Rosen Campus which is home to one of the best hospitality schools in the US, and the med school campus.

But walking through Memory Mall or around the student union or library mid-day is like walking down 5th Avenue in NYC a week before Christmas. There are a lot of beautiful open spaces, but there are a TON of students.

Here's a link to the population data for UCF: https://www.ucf.edu/about-ucf/facts/

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been discussed, but did you see where Northeastern sent 11 students home with no refund? As a parent, I would be fuming at my child.
DW's cousin told her about it. My bet is the parents will be mad at, and probably suing, the university.

Unfortunately, the first words many babies learn these days are not "Mommy" or "Daddy." They are, "It's NOT MY FAULT!"

Exactly, not everyone knows UD or UCF, my friend‘s daughter qualified for bright futures and is going for free, I wasn’t sure which college it was since there seems to be so many. Many in the NE stick to the upper east coast, I honestly only know of one person who went to college in Florida (softball, lasted one semester). Wait, I know of another who graduated from Flagler, but her grandparents live there and the whole family has been planning on moving down there for years (3 down, 4 to go).

I knew UD, but we were in South Jersey. However, around here it is known as UDel.

I knew UD, but we were in South Jersey. However, around here it is known as UDel.
At UD the students and parents are instructed the name is UD, not Udel (we called it Udel until the first college visit), anyone who says Udel is quickly corrected, did had to correct us several times.

At UD the students and parents are instructed the name is UD, not Udel (we called it Udel until the first college visit), anyone who says Udel is quickly corrected, did had to correct us several times.
LOL...really?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter