GRAND OPENING - GRAND CLOSING (Florida)

I know it‘s OT....What is the definition of a scientist? Only Someone that looks through a microscope all day or someone that spends all day develolping and testing BI applications and dashboards and working with data? Data scientist is a job title. And working with BI and data yields to new discovery just as much as looking at physical matter. It took tons of science to bring us to where we are digitally speaking.

sorry but I was a BI manager.

Rebekah Jones has a Doctorate in Geography, and as I said above, she specializes in GIS. She has no medical background of any kind.

She also has quite a checkered past -- not only with Florida state government, but also at her previous employer LSU. For example, this excerpt from Tallahassee Reports:

"Jones is no stranger to insubordination. In 2016, she was arrested on the campus of her employer, Louisiana State University, for refusing to obey the orders of a police officer:

On June 13, 26-year-old University staff member Rebekah Jones was booked on one count of battery on a police officer, one count of remaining after forbidden and two counts of resisting arrest, Scott said. Scott said officers arrived at the Sea Grant building when Jones refused to leave at the request of LSU Human Resources. Scott said Jones initiated physical contact against two LSUPD officers while resisting arrest and officers were forced to subdue her.
It’s not clear why LSU’s Human Resources department asked one of their own staff members to leave the area.

Jones also has an extensive criminal history in Leon County, where she’s been arrested and charged with three felonies, including one for robbery, and a handful of misdemeanor cases including “sexual cyberstalking,” a case where she created a website and used it to sexually harass her ex-boyfriend. The website has been taken down, but images from the case exist in Leon County court records.

Most of the charges filed against her came after she was hired by the Department of Health, so they would not have turned up in any background check."

Just FYI, Leon County, FL is Tallahassee, the state capital.

Here's the link so you can read the entire article. The other media source quoted extensively is the Tampa Bay Times, which is a very good (and decidedly liberal) newspaper (formerly the St. Petersburg Times).

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ickbait-the-media-dreams-of-but-its-all-fake/
One note about something else in this article.

There is a reference in one of the comments to the story about Ms. Jones being "Baker-acted." Florida's Baker Act is a method of involuntarily committing a person to a mental health facility for evaluation. To meet the criteria of the act, the person must be a danger to themselves or others -- just having mental health issues does not qualify.

There is no further information on that comment, and I have not seen that issue raised anywhere else, so I have no idea whether it is true or not.

Last edited:
I read that some myrtle beach restaurants are closing due to employees testing positive.
North Myrtle Beach. Greg Norman's, Oscars, Molly Darcy's, and Rockefeller's.
Myrtle Beach. Flamingo Grill.

All have said they will reopen when employees are all feeling fine and test negative and are cleaning their entire restaurants as a precaution.

Rebekah Jones has a Doctorate in Geography, and as I said above, she specializes in GIS. She has no medical background of any kind.

She also has quite a checkered past -- not only with Florida state government, but also at her previous employer LSU. For example, this excerpt from Tallahassee Reports:

"Jones is no stranger to insubordination. In 2016, she was arrested on the campus of her employer, Louisiana State University, for refusing to obey the orders of a police officer:

It’s not clear why LSU’s Human Resources department asked one of their own staff members to leave the area.

Jones also has an extensive criminal history in Leon County, where she’s been arrested and charged with three felonies, including one for robbery, and a handful of misdemeanor cases including “sexual cyberstalking,” a case where she created a website and used it to sexually harass her ex-boyfriend. The website has been taken down, but images from the case exist in Leon County court records.

Most of the charges filed against her came after she was hired by the Department of Health, so they would not have turned up in any background check."

Just FYI, Leon County, FL is Tallahassee, the state capital.

Here's the link so you can read the entire article. The other media source quoted extensively is the Tampa Bay Times, which is a very good (and decidedly liberal) newspaper (formerly the St. Petersburg Times).

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ickbait-the-media-dreams-of-but-its-all-fake/
One note about something else in this article.

There is a reference in one of the comments to the story about Ms. Jones being "Baker-acted." Florida's Baker Act is a method of involuntarily committing a person to a mental health facility for evaluation. To meet the criteria of the act, the person must be a danger to themselves or others -- just having mental health issues does not qualify.

There is no further information on that comment, and I have not seen that issue raised anywhere else, so I have no idea whether it is true or not.
This may all be true or not. But it sure seems like they didn’t have a problem with her developing the entire dashboard project. However, as soon as she started speaking out on how things were actually being reported they fired her. The timing of it is very interesting. I know there is always more to the story. I still find the timing strange.

Georgia has been open for six weeks and people have been active and largely mask-less- and we have plenty of beds and medical supplies- and that’s with all the elective surgeries being done.

We expect lots of people to test positive. Back in March, several doctors were saying that a good portion of the population will eventually get this. Most will have few to no problems.

As long as people with compromised immune systems continue to social distance and avoid going out, there should not be a huge rise in hospitalizations.

It’s a little premature to predict more apocalyptic shutdowns at this point.

And this is WHY I am terrified of moving to GA in September. All I see out of the state is screw masks, so what if people with compromised immune systems die, it's their own fault for going out. Sadly, the Army isn't giving us a choice or I would not be moving there, especially since we don't have a base posting where people actually are required to wear masks and socially distance. I love Atlanta, I don't want to die there because it is too inconvenient for people to care about others lives as well as their own.

This may all be true or not. But it sure seems like they didn’t have a problem with her developing the entire dashboard project. However, as soon as she started speaking out on how things were actually being reported they fired her. The timing of it is very interesting. I know there is always more to the story. I still find the timing strange.
I like the part where they claim she wasn't fired for being a whistleblower. She was fired for insubordination. Like anyone comes out and says yes, we fired Mr. Smith for blowing the whistle on burying toxic waste in the back 40. Why yes. We certainly did fire Mr. Jones for exposing the board's embezzlement. Why of course I fired Mrs. Johnson because she refused to fudge my numbers. I tell ya I can't make up better stuff.

This may all be true or not. But it sure seems like they didn’t have a problem with her developing the entire dashboard project. However, as soon as she started speaking out on how things were actually being reported they fired her.
You know, it's not up to a webpage designer which data is displayed. In this case, that is up to the medical professionals who determine which medical information they think is most relevant.
I know there is always more to the story. I still find the timing strange.
There is always more to every story.

But still, the things being quoted in this news piece are public record. They're not he said/she said except for the one comment responding to the article about her possibly being Baker-acted.

But being arrested at LSU, in university offices, by university police? That's public record.

Three FELONY arrests in Tallahassee -- while employed by state government? Public record.

Multiple misdemeanor arrests in Tallahassee for cyberstalking her ex-boyfriend? Not once, but multiple arrests? Public record.

This may all be true or not. But it sure seems like they didn’t have a problem with her developing the entire dashboard project.
Except that she did NOT develop it. It's a pre-made display, used by many entities, available to anyone paying for a subscription!

From the article:
"Claim #1: Rebekah Jones was the “architect” of the Florida’s COVID-19 dashboard.

The truth: Jones was more like the drywall hanger of the dashboard rather than the “architect.” The dashboard was built on the same visual mapping tool that Johns Hopkins University made famous at the beginning of the coronavirus crisis. In fact, Florida’s tool looks extremely similar. That’s because Johns Hopkins University is not the “architect” of the dashboard, either.

The tool is actually built not on any of Florida’s many data servers, but using ready-made modules from a subscription service called ArcGIS.

Jones’ job was to load data into those modules and decide how it appeared to visitors."

Last edited:
Most of the people here are wonderful, kind, and caring. But they are independent and value their freedom. If that bothers you- if you feel a need to control others- then you probably won’t be happy here. Maybe ask for a post in Michigan or Minnesota.

You really don't know anything about the military, do you? We have orders, we don't have a choice. And your post tells me that people in GA only care about their own "freedom" and don't care about the freedom of anyone else. That isn't wonderful, kind, or caring. It is selfish and self-centered. No wonder my Sister in Law, who is a nurse in the Atlanta area, is so angry all the time since the pandemic started. She doesn't get to ignore people dying because too many people think they are special and don't have to have basic courtesy to try to keep people from dying. I am really sad that I will not be able to enjoy all the wonderful things Atlanta has to offer. We were really looking forward to the posting since we were only there 10 months last time.

Holy smokes! You can defend your state, but no need to bash on others. Geez.
How is that bashing? Those states have stricter requirements and lockdowns, right? I responded to someone who is “terrified” of moving to Georgia because of the looser requirements and lockdowns. There is a huge difference state to state of how this opening up is being handled. Some are far more lenient than others. Personally, I would be terrified to move to Michigan or Minnesota due to what I perceive as scary government overreach, but I understand that there are others who prefer it that way. It’s really entirely a matter of perspective as to what is the correct way to handle things.

You really don't know anything about the military, do you? We have orders, we don't have a choice. And your post tells me that people in GA only care about their own "freedom" and don't care about the freedom of anyone else. That isn't wonderful, kind, or caring. It is selfish and self-centered. No wonder my Sister in Law, who is a nurse in the Atlanta area, is so angry all the time since the pandemic started. She doesn't get to ignore people dying because too many people think they are special and don't have to have basic courtesy to try to keep people from dying. I am really sad that I will not be able to enjoy all the wonderful things Atlanta has to offer. We were really looking forward to the posting since we were only there 10 months last time.
I’m sorry you are so terrified. I hope you are able to deal with your fear. We have a .02% mortality rate with the virus here. It’s quite low.

How is that bashing? Those states have stricter requirements and lockdowns, right? I responded to someone who is “terrified” of moving to Georgia because of the looser requirements and lockdowns. There is a huge difference state to state of how this opening up is being handled. Some are far more lenient than others. Personally, I would be terrified to move to Michigan or Minnesota due to what I perceive as scary government overreach, but I understand that there are others who prefer it that way. It’s really entirely a matter of perspective as to what is the correct way to handle things.

This is your quote from before:
if you feel a need to control others- then you probably won’t be happy here. Maybe ask for a post in Michigan or Minnesota.

To me your quote implied that Michigan and Minnesota residents don't mind being controlled like lemmings. In my eyes, I read that as a total bash for these states residents ... and it wasn't just about Covid. You may not have intended it to read that way, but it did. You could have easily stated your love for your state and left it at that.

And trust me, I know in Michigan, there is a lot opposition for Whitmer's decision making. Even the Michigan senate went so far as to try and sue Whitmer.

And like @olwyngdh stated, there is no choice, the military tells you where to go and that is it. I am sure you probably already knew that, so there was zero need to throw those states into the conversation.

I’m sorry you are so terrified. I hope you are able to deal with your fear. We have a .02% mortality rate with the virus here. It’s quite low.
3% of confirmed cases have died in Florida. A lot of people are going to die in Florida. I am glad the rate as been so low so far, but the time to prevent widespread death is before it happens.

3% of confirmed cases have died in Florida. A lot of people are going to die in Florida. I am glad the rate as been so low so far, but the time to prevent widespread death is before it happens.

Lots of people are going to die. That hasn't changed. We slowed it down for a little over a month, but now it's back and spreading. Let's hope our hospitals can handle it. I don't see us shutting back down again.

Are you comparing those who die from CV to the entire population? Then the US is at .03%.
However, if you compare those who HAVE CV, then Georgia is 4.3%. The US at 5.5%

I'm very confused when I see people tout this as a reason to not be careful. You don't think it can grow like it has other places? Does your kindness, like how you act like caution is irrational, keep it away?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter