GRAND OPENING - GRAND CLOSING (Florida)

We're going back to self-quarantine except for groceries, gas and parks/beaches/springs that we know we can be distanced. There is no way we're going to inside dining (or even patio in this heat) let alone a movie theater. Such a shame as we worked so hard earlier on to be responsible and now are in this situation.
Same here. 46% of my states cases have been in the last month. Not surprisingly, almost exactly two weeks after our Safer at Home plan was thrown out the window. :sad2:

And that’s with about 20k fewer tests.

Also, they backed off requiring bars to close. As long as they sell any food at all, bars can operate at 50% capacity. Stunningly stupid. I guess bar owners have a lot of pull with the governor.

AZ did something like that initially as well, basically they were doing bags of nuts/popcorn type things or food trucks outside, and then things have obviously spiraled here (where we also opened very quickly like FL) though it's not gotten nearly as bad as it has in FL yet (thankfully).

When they just shut down more last week here again, including more bar restrictions (smartly also doing it for that night, none of the 'ok you have x number of days and then it starts' that other states have done...CA, etc. this past week) there were several admissions that the loose restriction on what constituted "food" had probably played into the crowds and some of the bars that were problematic being such a source of likely increased positive tests.

So now they're closed based on license and if they don't have at least 40% of their sales being food, which has closed a lot more places.

We'll see if that makes a difference here or if it gets even tighter...and if FL decides to learn from what other places have found the hard way or not or if restrictions end up getting tighter there assuming the current change in FL ends up with the same issues, since FL is pretty much where AZ, CA and others were and that didn't work well enough for any of us thus far...

Hey Florida folks... I just got off the phone with my mom who lives in Florida. She told me she's hearing stories that test results are taking as long as two weeks to come back. Is that true? Is that widespread? She also said she's hearing about problems with accuracy (not sure if false positives or false negatives). I'm not discounting the numbers, but trying to "read" the numbers is hard if there isn't consistency on when and how the numbers are obtained.

Hey Florida folks... I just got off the phone with my mom who lives in Florida. She told me she's hearing stories that test results are taking as long as two weeks to come back. Is that true? Is that widespread? She also said she's hearing about problems with accuracy (not sure if false positives or false negatives). I'm not discounting the numbers, but trying to "read" the numbers is hard if there isn't consistency on when and how the numbers are obtained.
If that's true, many people just wont bother getting tested again.

We really are basically back at the start again arent we?

I heard a news report over the weekend that said that many labs in some areas are now backed up and it's taking longer to get test results. So it's probably true.

My husband is waiting for results from his test on Monday morning, so at least one week for him (unless they sneak in in the next few hours, he keeps checking)

My husband is waiting for results from his test on Monday morning, so at least one week for him (unless they sneak in in the next few hours, he keeps checking)

I find it unbelievable how slow testing is in FL. Here, the quick tests are readily available. All you need is your dr to order it and for us, that’s done with just sending him an email- you don’t have to be sick or have any symptoms. If you just want to test for the heck of it, CVS does a drive through test. That one does take 2-3 days to get results, but all testing is free. If you want an antibodies test, again a call to your dr and they’ll order 1 and it’s free as well.

And we live in Oklahoma, not exactly a metropolitan area. Our numbers are bouncing around some. We had a little jump a couple of weeks ago, but since then we’ve been running between 3-400 cases per day. Our pop is steady at around 4% and yesterday we had no deaths at all.

Who knew I lived in a progressive state. lol

Last edited:

My daughter in Orlando had to wait 5 days for her test result after a co-worker tested positive. Fortunately she does not have Covid-19, but her workplace did nothing more than close in-restaurant dining one night for a deep cleaning (they remained open for carryout). They did not require employees to test at all, and certainly did not require employees to self-quarantine while awaiting test results. :( She was expected back at work on her next scheduled shift.

Last edited:
My daughter in Orlando had to wait 5 days for her test result after a co-worker tested positive. Fortunately she does not have Covid-19, but her workplace did nothing more than close in-restaurant dining one night for a deep cleaning (they remained open for carryout). They did not require employees to test at all, and certainly did not require employees to self-quarantine while awaiting test results. :( She was expected back at work on her next scheduled shift.

And this is why they are having issues. Various comments talk about reopening and how we can't stay shut down forever. Correct. But you have to reopen sensibly and handle outbreaks responsibly. Florida is doing nothing of the kind.

If you go to the Orange County Convention Center you can expect results in 2-3 days. Unfortunately they lost my coworkers swab then found it several days later.

And this is why they are having issues. Various comments talk about reopening and how we can't stay shut down forever. Correct. But you have to reopen sensibly and handle outbreaks responsibly. Florida is doing nothing of the kind.

I agree. I kept asking her what her employer was requiring her to do, and I kept forwarding her articles from places here in Chicago that closed down for several days to weeks when an employee tested positive, but they basically laughed at her when she asked them if she was supposed to stay home/off work while waiting for her test results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter