• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone had a CV-19 antibody test?

I live in upstate NY and my friend was able to get the antibody test from a Quest Lab. Quick process, no questions asked. She had been to NYC twice in Feb and March, before the virus ramped up, so she thought it would be good to see if she had the antibodies. She had not been ill or had any symptoms. No doctor's order was required.

My son was tested and we're still waiting for the results (since last week). I have the opportunity, like @luvmarypoppins son, to participate in a research trial at my hospital, but I am leaning against it right now. Will wait and see how my son's test turns out as a first step.

I heard that the government is funding some of these tests via clinics because they want to see how many people are walking around with antibodies among us, therefore the testing, in some cases (if you can find it), is no cost to the patient. Check with walk in clinics around you and make an appt if you want it done.

If not, I believe you can get it done through Quest for a relatively low fee. (Here I've seen $55 but I've seen it listed as high as $119.) You still have to find somewhere to have your blood drawn, though.

This I am not sure of but I heard talk that if you do test positive, they can suggest you quarantine for 14 days unless you also have a negative Covid19 test done, too, which we all know can be difficult to get without symptoms. But just an fyi. I think there could be strings attached to some of this testing, so buyer beware!

No labs anywhere near Western NY, but this may be helpful information for someone else, so thanks! I see both labs say it’s possible that antibodies might be present from some other strain of coronavirus, so even if antibodies are present, it’s not 100% certain they’re from CV19. Still, I’d be willing to bet they are after having CV19 symptoms.

I had something with the CV19 symptoms I caught on a Yangtze River Cruise, last August. Obviously way to early for CV19. I think there are quite a few coronaviruses with the same symptoms but are not the same disease. If those labs just test for any Coronavirus it won’t help you determine if you had CV19.

I'd be curious, but not curious enough to do it. I haven't been sick, but I am hung up on how many people are testing positive with no symptoms. I was in Phoenix March 9-12 at Spring Training, and kind of out of touch with the news. I was in a crowded plane going, crowded stadiums for 4 days, a crowded plane coming home. Odds are I was around people with coronavirus. First clue something was going on was MLB canceling Spring Training the day we left. Then on the flight home, the flight attendants made a pass through the cabin before take off to collect used clorox wipes people used to wipe down their seating area. They did not due that 4 days before on the flight there.

Keep in mind that these tests offered by Quest, LabCorps, etc. are not approved by the FDA right now and the labs are not reporting on their accuracy percentages for a reason. If you are paying for a test, just know that you might be just as well off asking your magic 8 ball.

^^ I agree. Many companies have raced onto the market with either covid tests or those antibody tests based on a 'wavier' from the FDA. The accuracy of the results aren't known. The medical community also doesn't know if having antibodies means you have immunity, so at this time whatever results you get doesn't really mean anything.

You do not need to see your doctor or any doctor. You do not need to involve your insurance, unless you want to.

You can order the test yourself and magically behind the scenes a doctors order is generated. You are not required to ever speak to or receive consultation from that independent physician. The doctors fee is built into the cost of the test.
Golly, that sounds legit. :rolleyes:

Antibody tests are not anywhere near being ready for a large-scale roll out, as the results are inaccurate. That's why they aren't FDA approved.

Keep in mind that these tests offered by Quest, LabCorps, etc. are not approved by the FDA right now and the labs are not reporting on their accuracy percentages for a reason. If you are paying for a test, just know that you might be just as well off asking your magic 8 ball.
I don't agree with that, necessarily. First, Quest has a reputation and quality standards to uphold. Second, if the government is going to be looking at these figures, I'd hope they'd want them to be accurate. YMMV

I might have missed it, but can someone tell me the advantages for getting the antibody test? I live in an area w/ the Quest labs, and could go and get it, but to what end? What does it mean - in terms of day to day life, travel and interacting with other people again - if I do or don't have the antibodies? If it was helpful to know that I did have the antibodies I'd get the test....I was under the impression that is was not conclusive that if you had a confirmed case of Covid, you couldn't get it again. So taking the antibody test and coming up negative doesn't mean I still can't get it, and taking the test and coming up positive doesn't mean I can't get it again and can't still spread it if I came into contact with it in the future? Am I wrong here?
I'd love to be able to get the antibody test and know that I can visit w/ my folks and others again.
I did get a Covid test, came back negative.

And one more thing - we didn't do this for "fun". My son was hospitalized with a very serious problem and we want to know if it was related to Covid. We are relying on accurate results.

My wife has, works in a hospital. She and her entire team were negative. They processes in their internal labs, not a quick test. So fairly accurate results

I will as soon as its available but we kinda assume if she's negative we all are.

I had something with the CV19 symptoms I caught on a Yangtze River Cruise, last August. Obviously way to early for CV19. I think there are quite a few coronaviruses with the same symptoms but are not the same disease. If those labs just test for any Coronavirus it won’t help you determine if you had CV19.
Exactly. Even if you legitimately test positive for antibodies (though everyone should be skeptical of their results), it may not even be for Covid-19. Plus, there is no evidence how long those antibodies last.

I might have missed it, but can someone tell me the advantages for getting the antibody test? I live in an area w/ the Quest labs, and could go and get it, but to what end? What does it mean - in terms of day to day life, travel and interacting with other people again - if I do or don't have the antibodies? If it was helpful to know that I did have the antibodies I'd get the test....I was under the impression that is was not conclusive that if you had a confirmed case of Covid, you couldn't get it again. So taking the antibody test and coming up negative doesn't mean I still can't get it, and taking the test and coming up positive doesn't mean I can't get it again and can't still spread it if I came into contact with it in the future? Am I wrong here?
I'd love to be able to get the antibody test and know that I can visit w/ my folks and others again.
I did get a Covid test, came back negative.
It means nothing, since, like you said, there is zero evidence showing having it once prevents you from getting it again.

Golly, that sounds legit. :rolleyes:
It is the same rules for any self ordered lab test, A1C, lipid panel, etc. Not sure what makes it less legit?

This company operates the same way, transparently providing any necessary doctors order.
https://www.anylabtestnow.com/For many it can be cheaper to order their own lab tests, paying cash, then to see a doctor and use their insurance. At least the pricing is transparent.

I thought Quest locations did blood draws.
Idk. When Quest first announced they were going to be doing the antigen testing and you could pay for it yourself, they mentioned that point on their website. I later found out about the government testing via health clinics so we went that route.

Apparently there is no way to test “just for CV19.” If I understood the info correctly, the similarity in antibodies makes it impossible to be 100% certain the antibodies are from CV19.

I don't agree with that, necessarily. First, Quest has a reputation and quality standards to uphold. Second, if the government is going to be looking at these figures, I'd hope they'd want them to be accurate. YMMV

Right now the government doesn't care if the figures are correct or not as long as it fits the agenda that particular group is trying to push.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter