Hurricane Irma?

I just watched an 8:00 update on Irma and the Orlando area online at http://www.orlandosentinel.com/. I am in Texas and have a trip planned Sept 16-23 celebrating 50th anniversary...meeting kids and grandkids. The weatherman said Irma is stalled over Cuba and slowed to 7 mph and still tracking WNW which is good for Orlando taking it a little further West still...sustained winds should be 60mph.

Thank you for posting the local FL info. Quite a difference from national coverage. Then again national coverage seems more focused on the keys/miami/tampa which will experience much worse conditions.

live from Orlando, 2 miles from the airport. Put away all of our outside furniture, and helped neighbors clean their yards. Still waiting... This is why it is so frustrating watching the news including weather Channel, put up the "cone". They use their best info, yet are still wrong by a lot. How do I know? Look where they put their reporters. They still don't know tonight where it is going. Then you have people seeing the cone thinking they are now fine. Miami has been out of the cone all day, but has been getting battered by wind and rain since lunchtime. I know how frustrating it must be for people who have planned a vacation and are waiting on "can we still go? Should we still go? Is it ok to still go?" When we have been watching the news for over a week hearing how bad it's going to be, and still seeing that we won't feel the storm until late Sunday. All of you guys in Georgia and Tennessee (and the Carolinas) are playing the waiting game too, and it sucks. 11:00 model run tonight is going to tell the tale - is it making the full turn and coming up, or staying out west of Florida. Be safe all - rant over.

Hurricanes shouldn't be allowed to also form tornadoes. It's like double-dipping.
At this rate, I'm expecting to hear that Irma has hit the trifecta and sharknados have begun.

I've read a lot on this thread recently about the impact of arriving tourists on local resources and first responders. I've seen a lot of people weighing in both sides. Here's something that's bothered me about this debate: has Disney, the City of Orlando or the State of Florida ever once told tourists "Don't come here" during this event? They seem to be the ones in the best position to make that statement if there's a risk of overburdened resources. But I haven't seen anything along those lines. Sure - Disney is a business, but the City and State officials have different interests (and voters to answer to). Some might say it's common sense with the evacuations and Governor's press conferences. But government officials are well aware that Orlando is one the biggest tourist destinations in the US - that people still may come. And they haven't said not to. Of course Florida has its own economic interest - tourism is its biggest industry. According to the Governor's website, tourism brings in nearly $25 billion a year in sales tax revenue and keeps over 1 million Floridians employed. Maybe they don't want to damage that reputation? Or maybe - since tourists are a vital part of the state economy - Florida and Orlando's disaster and recovery plans account for taking care of those people it's welcomed into the state?

I can understand why residents wouldn't like tourists at a time like this. I've lived in places with high tourism and know the uneasy balance of depending on tourists economically but also viewing them as disruptive intrusions. Would I go to WDW during the storm? No. I'm supposed to go down this weekend - but if the aftermath is signicant I won't and couldn't in good conscience. But that's a personal decision - I'm not going to judge someone else that does, particularly when the officials there and Disney remain silent while keeping the gates open.

live from Orlando, 2 miles from the airport. Put away all of our outside furniture, and helped neighbors clean their yards. Still waiting... This is why it is so frustrating watching the news including weather Channel, put up the "cone". They use their best info, yet are still wrong by a lot. How do I know? Look where they put their reporters. They still don't know tonight where it is going. Then you have people seeing the cone thinking they are now fine. Miami has been out of the cone all day, but has been getting battered by wind and rain since lunchtime. I know how frustrating it must be for people who have planned a vacation and are waiting on "can we still go? Should we still go? Is it ok to still go?" When we have been watching the news for over a week hearing how bad it's going to be, and still seeing that we won't feel the storm until late Sunday. All of you guys in Georgia and Tennessee (and the Carolinas) are playing the waiting game too, and it sucks. 11:00 model run tonight is going to tell the tale - is it making the full turn and coming up, or staying out west of Florida. Be safe all - rant over.

It is seriously like we're all 42 weeks pregnant. To quote a friend of mine. :) #overirma

The storm is the size of Texas. Even outside the cone there will be significant weather.
That said jim cantore is in Tampa. He's usually a good indicator of where you don't want to be

Yeah I'm waiting up for the 11 too.

The storm is the size of Texas. Even outside the cone there will be significant weather.
That said jim cantore is in Tampa. He's usually a good indicator of where you don't want to be
Now he is, but he spent Friday night and Saturday morning in Miami because that was supposed to be ground zero. My point is that I live here, am an AP holder, am on the boards, and that all those people trying to get info about their trip are basically blind, because the experts cannot tell where these storms will go. It underlies all those people judging the stay or go folks, because there is no real answer. It sucks. I have two daughters who have been worried all week. Luckily Brian Shields from WFTV Channel 9 has done a great job talking to kids to reassure them that we will be ok. But nothing takes away the "when will it happen and how bad will it be, and when will it stop" part about being in the storm. Safe travels/ safe hunkering down to all for this storm. See you at F&w next Saturday!

What happens if someone gets hurt, either due to the storm (flying debris, broken glass, etc), or unrelated to it, or has another medical emergency? Are they going to drive themselves from wdw to a hospital? Probably not. They'll need to be transported via ambulance, putting the EMTs/firemen/etc in unnecessary danger (potentially driving through pouring rains, debris/downed power lines, tornado-prone areas,...).

They are on their own. Bandage up yourself or try to drive somewhere. If you're in an area where there has been a mandatory evacuation issued, it doesn't mean necessarily you're forced to leave your house, but that their issuing that to let you know first reponders will not respond in an emergency.

And once winds reach above a certain point first reponders stay put and respond once the weather calms down

He's actually been down here in Fort Myers today since so far this is where they think the eye will land or come right near.

So far on the news as being in town I've seen Jim Cantore, Anderson Cooper, and Lester Holt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter