I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I've been told the name of the primary driver has to match the name on the credit card, and most of our car rentals are through Costco. I've had the experience of not being able to use my credit card to pay for a car rental under DH's name. It might depend on the car rental company? I don't remember which one was insistent on the name on the rental agreement matching the credit card used to pay. Why don't you put her name down as the primary driver and make yourself the additional driver? Another route (not guaranteed to work although I've had success with it) is when you return the car, ask to change what card is going to be used for payment. Usually I have to go inside and speak to a rep in order to do that.
I am the Costco member so I think the car has to in my name. I am pretty sure in the past I have used my card with a Costco rental and dh is always the driver.

How do you add the other driver when you rent through Costco?

We are not foodies at all, in fact we are picky eaters. So disregard if you are looking for something with French cuisine or something exotic. In August, we discovered a little Italian place fairly close to the Louvre that we liked so much we went twice. We were staying Park Hyatt Vendome and this restaurant is fairly close. It's very casual, we went in shorts and t-shirts. It is Caffe dei Fratelli It's basically at the corner of Rue des Pyramides and Rue St. Honore.
Thanks so much. We aren't foodies either. This looks great and close to the hotel (same one you stayed at). Did you need to make a reservation, or was it ok to just show up and ask for a table?

I can’t join the group because I don’t have a profile picture lol. I’m not a Facebook person. I’m sure there are other groups I can look into though.

Dh is gonna look at the Shannon airport but he didn’t think there were any flights. That would be nice though because everything we want to do is on that side of the country

We are flying into Dublin and out of Shannon in June. We wanted to get Biz seats on the way over since it's overnight and there just wasn't any into SNN when I was booking (last July). Part of that could have been related to fewer flights on the schedule to SNN due to covid stuff that was just winding down around that time. SNN makes more sense for us too, but at least we're flying out of SNN. We opted to fly economy on the way home since it's daytime hours and there were plenty of award seats for that leg in economy (though I did try to upgrade us after purchase and Aer Lingus/Avios gave us the runaround about that's only possible if you booked thru AL...which I couldn't do). Anyway, we're economy out of SNN. We're flying in/out of Boston.

I've been told the name of the primary driver has to match the name on the credit card, and most of our car rentals are through Costco. I've had the experience of not being able to use my credit card to pay for a car rental under DH's name. It might depend on the car rental company? I don't remember which one was insistent on the name on the rental agreement matching the credit card used to pay. Why don't you put her name down as the primary driver and make yourself the additional driver? Another route (not guaranteed to work although I've had success with it) is when you return the car, ask to change what card is going to be used for payment. Usually I have to go inside and speak to a rep in order to do that.
These are good points, and I do wonder if it’s car rental company dependent. I’m always listed as the primary driver, but rarely do the driving.
I am the Costco member so I think the car has to in my name. I am pretty sure in the past I have used my card with a Costco rental and dh is always the driver.

Not sure about Avis so this doesn’t really help you, but with Alamo I’m able to link my Costco reservation to my Alamo account. I then do all the registration/check in through the Alamo website before our trip. That’s also when I add my payment method. I think like @platamama said you should be able to list your daughter as the primary driver and use her card.

With Costco, I always put the rental cars in my name (even though DH is the main driver) because I have a CSR which I use to pay. If I want DD to be the "Costco second driver for free" driver, she has to be there with her driver's license. There have been times when she couldn't be there when we picked up the car but we added her later by stopping at another car rental counter along the way.

At Avis, Budget, and Enterprise, there is no fee for spouses so you can still add another free driver when you go through Costco. I don't know about the other companies.

Thanks so much. We aren't foodies either. This looks great and close to the hotel (same one you stayed at). Did you need to make a reservation, or was it ok to just show up and ask for a table?
We did not have reservations either time. We ate inside the first time and outside the second time, but I think either option was available both times.

Has anyone taken the sea plane from Key West to Dry Tortugas? We're going to be in KW in January (first time) and I'd love to go. The sea plane is $397/person which is steep but much faster than taking the ferry to/from. I keep going back and forth about if we "need" to do that. It's unlikely we'd burn a whole day going via ferry...I think it's 2.5 hours each way.

I wonder if the sea plane would code as "travel" so I could use Cap1 points to offset, lol.

I have the Venture X with Priority Pass. Trying to figure out where I will actually be able to use this on our Europe Trip. Flying out of MSP (They have a PGA MSP Lounge where you get $15 per person in Food or Golf - assuming that we won't be able to use this one...)

Fly into ORD then on to Rome (Looks like ORD may have one)

Flying Home from ATH to EWR. Anyone know about these.

Tempted to PC my Marriott Card to the Ritz Carlton Card for unlimited access that includes a food credit also. Hmmm.

I just did a dummy booking (logged in through DH's Costco account) and put DD's name as the primary driver and finalized the booking that way; I didn't run into any problems with booking it. I would just add myself as an additional driver at the counter when I pick up. Now just need to cancel it since DD isn't old enough to rent a car. lol

I just did a dummy booking (logged in through DH's Costco account) and put DD's name as the primary driver and finalized the booking that way; I didn't run into any problems with booking it. I would just add myself as an additional driver at the counter when I pick up. Now just need to cancel it since DD isn't old enough to rent a car. lol
That made me laugh! My dd is 27 but I still do the driving.
Thanks everyone I am going to do some further mulling on this.

We are flying into Dublin and out of Shannon in June. We wanted to get Biz seats on the way over since it's overnight and there just wasn't any into SNN when I was booking (last July). Part of that could have been related to fewer flights on the schedule to SNN due to covid stuff that was just winding down around that time. SNN makes more sense for us too, but at least we're flying out of SNN. We opted to fly economy on the way home since it's daytime hours and there were plenty of award seats for that leg in economy (though I did try to upgrade us after purchase and Aer Lingus/Avios gave us the runaround about that's only possible if you booked thru AL...which I couldn't do). Anyway, we're economy out of SNN. We're flying in/out of Boston.
We’re pretty sure we’ll be flying in and out of Dublin so we can fly biz both ways. It’s hard to tell if ds will even sleep. I’m hoping he at least sleeps some on the overnight flight there but who knows. We’ve built in a decent amount of rest days to help with the jet lag and traveling around the country. We can’t book flights until the 18th when one of our chase statements ends so we have enough points. We’re looking at being there for about two weeks.

Do they have off the week of Easter or the week after Easter?
Everyone just pointed out that Easter is 3/31, and my kids do in fact have a 4 day weekend the first weekend in April.
I’m thinking fly into MCO on Thursday night, go to parks Friday-Tuesday, fly home Wednesday, they would only miss 2 school days.
I think a lot schools in central/south American are out the week of Easter and the week after.

Yes, many Latin American countries will have off the week before Easter (Semana Santa or Holy Week) and the week after. It's a common two weeks for nationals to travel.

We took two week long trips in 3 weeks so I'll have some trip reports to share. But, we just got back from Grand Cayman and we got caught up in the Fort Lauderdale disaster. Our flight from Grand Cayman was scheduled to stop in FLL with a nearly 4 hour layover, then continue to Chicago. We took off uneventfully from Grand Cayman then nearly landed in FLL but then began circling the airport like 4-5 times, for over an hour, until we finally had to divert because we were out of fuel.

Diverted to Orlando where we were explicitly told we wouldn't be able to get off because it was an international flight and we were not going to an international gate, we were just landing to be fueled and then were to head back to FLL. This cabin crew was something else "Don't even look for a flight out of Orlando, you are NOT gonna be allowed to get off," one of the FAs says over the intercom. Well of course we land and the pilots time out... and lo and behold, they are somehow magically allowed to get off the plane and clear internationally. Then we wait on the plane for new pilots. All this while I hadn't fed my kids since breakfast because I knew I had that darn four hour layover and I'd planned to feed them multiple times during that long layover and I didn't think I needed copious snacks for an hour flight. Well, big lesson learned there. So then finally they come on and say that the tower in FLL has no power so the airport is closed indefinitely. So then we deplane in MCO with basically zero information on how to rebook. Self service options online weren't working. That's where all the cc annual fee perks started kicking in:

1. Had used an reimbursed EBCI which allowed us to sit near the front of the plane, which meant we would be able to get to an agent quicker than others at the back of the plane
  2. Global Entry for the whole fam whisked us past the mobs of people trying to clear
  3. We only travel with carry-on baggage, so no waiting for baggage to unload
  4. I ran to the Southwest check in counter while DH got the kids food. Initially waited in the wrong line and then had to go wait in another line at the actual "help desk." Was able to get rebooked to our local airport rather than Chicago, which is further for us. But got C53-56 boarding positions. Paid for upgraded boardings and got A1-3. I had the right SW cc on me which reimburses for upgraded boardings and even had the card marked- it helped being prepared.
All in all, though, it was really stressful. My sister's fam was traveling with us and they didn't have any of those perks and waited in line for hours and there were hoards of people behind them. This really should have been something that could have been easily achieved online through self service.

While I recognize that this was weather related, then airport system failure (due to weather), I feel communication and assistance was really poor from SW. If I wasn't an experienced traveler or even knew to upgrade my boarding position, after a terribly stressful travel day, we would have been totally separated from our kids, one of who was already in tears from the stress. EBCI glitched on one leg, before the whole diversion, etc (I think @CyndiLouWho reported on this as well) DH and I each had EBCI and I got A boarding and he got B60, while my sister didn't have EBCI and got early B boarding. So a total glitch! Then, when we got rebooked to our local airport and got stuck with C53-56, an hour later my sister (luckily) got rebooked on the same flight and they were given B boarding positions. I just can't explain how any of this worked with Southwest.

In the end, we did get home and actually about the same time as we would have otherwise, just with a lot of stress. Anyone have experience with SW issuing LUV vouchers when it's weather related?

ETA: I just reread this and it sounds so whiny. I have so, so much to be grateful for and I don't mean to come off that way. Just stressful and stressful for my kiddos.

We took two week long trips in 3 weeks so I'll have some trip reports to share. But, we just got back from Grand Cayman and we got caught up in the Fort Lauderdale disaster. Our flight from Grand Cayman was scheduled to stop in FLL with a nearly 4 hour layover, then continue to Chicago. We took off uneventfully from Grand Cayman then nearly landed in FLL but then began circling the airport like 4-5 times, for over an hour, until we finally had to divert because we were out of fuel.

Diverted to Orlando where we were explicitly told we wouldn't be able to get off because it was an international flight and we were not going to an international gate, we were just landing to be fueled and then were to head back to FLL. This cabin crew was something else "Don't even look for a flight out of Orlando, you are NOT gonna be allowed to get off," one of the FAs says over the intercom. Well of course we land and the pilots time out... and lo and behold, they are somehow magically allowed to get off the plane and clear internationally. Then we wait on the plane for new pilots. All this while I hadn't fed my kids since breakfast because I knew I had that darn four hour layover and I'd planned to feed them multiple times during that long layover and I didn't think I needed copious snacks for an hour flight. Well, big lesson learned there. So then finally they come on and say that the tower in FLL has no power so the airport is closed indefinitely. So then we deplane in MCO with basically zero information on how to rebook. Self service options online weren't working. That's where all the cc annual fee perks started kicking in:

1. Had used an reimbursed EBCI which allowed us to sit near the front of the plane, which meant we would be able to get to an agent quicker than others at the back of the plane
  2. Global Entry for the whole fam whisked us past the mobs of people trying to clear
  4. I ran to the Southwest check in counter while DH got the kids food. Initially waited in the wrong line and then had to go wait in another line at the actual "help desk." Was able to get rebooked to our local airport rather than Chicago, which is further for us. But got C53-56 boarding positions. Paid for upgraded boardings and got A1-3. I had the right SW cc on me which reimburses for upgraded boardings and even had the card marked- it helped being prepared.
All in all, though, it was really stressful. My sister's fam was traveling with us and they didn't have any of those perks and waited in line for hours and there were hoards of people behind them. This really should have been something that could have been easily achieved online through self service.

While I recognize that this was weather related, then airport system failure (due to weather), I feel communication and assistance was really poor from SW. If I wasn't an experienced traveler or even knew to upgrade my boarding position, after a terribly stressful travel day, we would have been totally separated from our kids, one of who was already in tears from the stress. EBCI glitched on one leg, before the whole diversion, etc (I think @CyndiLouWho reported on this as well) DH and I each had EBCI and I got A boarding and he got B60, while my sister didn't have EBCI and got early B boarding. So a total glitch! Then, when we got rebooked to our local airport and got stuck with C53-56, an hour later my sister (luckily) got rebooked on the same flight and they were given B boarding positions. I just can't explain how any of this worked with Southwest.

In the end, we did get home and actually about the same time as we would have otherwise, just with a lot of stress. Anyone have experience with SW issuing LUV vouchers when it's weather related?

ETA: I just reread this and it sounds so whiny. I have so, so much to be grateful for and I don't mean to come off that way. Just stressful and stressful for my kiddos.
I didn’t think it sounded whiny at all. Sounds like a major PITA, and you were able to think under pressure. When this kind of stuff happens it can be so discombobulating. You handled it like a pro.

I don't think it sounded whiny either! It just shows how much you were able to navigate with your travel knowledge in a stressful situation.

Applied for a CIU last night and got the dreaded 7-10 days message. I used our new LLC EIN, so I thought that might be the reason. Woke up to an approved message this morning! It is not showing up in my account, so I will have to wait until the card arrives. Definitely won't be here to pay taxes, but thankful I don't have to call.

I'm thinking that the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select for myself that will put me at 4/24 until March 2024, but it seems like a good offer
75,000 miles, MSR of $3,500 AF waived the first year.

Anyone recently apply for a Citi AA personal card? Anything I should worry about?

I'm thinking that the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select for myself that will put me at 4/24 until March 2024, but it seems like a good offer
75,000 miles, MSR of $3,500 AF waived the first year.

Anyone recently apply for a Citi AA personal card? Anything I should worry about?
I'm thinking about this card too, since we got a mailer for 80k pts, MSR $4K, AF waived. As long as you haven't had that card/got the bonus within 48 months, I think you're good to go. Last time I had that card was 2018, so I'm pretty sure I'll apply again in June after we meet MSR on another card (the mailer shows the offer is good til 6/15).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter