Jeopardy Showdown 1/7/20

I hope Ken Jennings wins. I really would be happy, that when Alex Trebek steps down, :sad: that Ken takes over the mantle from him. Ken's funny, witty, he's got some social graces which would put contestants at ease.

As brilliant of a mind James has, he's just not that socially graceful. His humor is quirky and can sometimes go sideways. :tilt:

Poor Brad, he actually has a house in Los Angeles somewhere. He wouldn't even have to move. But, he hasn't made enough of a showing this week to be able to step up as host.

I can't imagine someone who hasn't played the game like these three have, taking over as host. :(

I've told this story here before; it involves my first wife and syndicated TV. 30 some years ago she would turn on Wheel at 7. It was followed by Jeopardy at 7:30. I'm not a Wheel fan so I would go down to the basement and putz around, where we had another TV. Another local channel showed Jeopardy at 7 and Wheel at 7:30.

Can you see where I'm going with this?

I'd watch Jeopardy at 7 then go back upstairs and watch it again with her at 7:30.

She thought I was the smartest guy in the world.

I’m not really sure if the Final Jeopardy theme is really faster or it’s just the backbeat that makes it seem faster.

Either way, am I the only one who thinks it sounds like something that would play in Tomorrowland or Future World? LOL.
It's the beat, methinks. This think music is indeed 30 seconds. There's audio of the think music on YouTube.

He can't. None of them can. something about the host not having any connection with contestants combined with tournaments involving previous players.
Is that written in stone, of can the rules be modified? I'd really like to see Ken host. He'd be a natural.

This isn't the Olympics with rules written in stone.It's a game show. I think, in the end, they will do what's best for the longevity and continued popularity of the show.

Nick Cannon is one of the producers of The Masked Singer. But, for the sake of the show, and being able to truthfully play along and behave like he doesn't know who is behind the mask, he's told the executive producers to not tell him who is behind the mask.

So, I'm sure, for Jeopardy, there are ways for the new host to not show favoritism, interact too much with past contestants returning, etc., and keep the integrity of the show intact.

I feel for Brad; I think he's getting beat by the buzzer. The other two are just so quick although I think that backfired a couple times for James in match 3.

I hope Ken Jennings wins. I really would be happy, that when Alex Trebek steps down, :sad: that Ken takes over the mantle from him. Ken's funny, witty, he's got some social graces which would put contestants at ease.

As brilliant of a mind James has, he's just not that socially graceful. His humor is quirky and can sometimes go sideways. :tilt:

Poor Brad, he actually has a house in Los Angeles somewhere. He wouldn't even have to move. But, he hasn't made enough of a showing this week to be able to step up as host.

I agree. Ken comes across as far more likeable and comfortable on the show then either of the other 2. James comes across as either aloof, arrogant or just isn't comfortable on TV. At times he tries to be funny and it just appears awkward. Don't really remember Brad, but sounded like he was successful several years ago on the show. Various blogs continue to speculate about the next host, but until an official source says what they are going to actually do, it is all just opinions.

Successful game show hosts tend to be those who are likeable and work well with the show format. Alex wasn't chosen for the job by being an expert in the questions/answers. At times people act like he would do well as a contestant and I'm not sure that would be the case.

Last edited:
I didn't watch a lot of shows during James' winning streak (maybe 3 or 4), but I seem to think he's trying harder during this tournament to show some personality and relax a little bit. It just doesn't seem natural for him. To be honest, I find Brad stiffer than James, but maybe that's because he knows he's outclassed with the other two.

At times people act like he would do well as a contestant and I'm not sure that would be the case.
Alex has, in the past, said he's not smart enough.
To be honest, I find Brad stiffer than James, but maybe that's because he knows he's outclassed with the other two.
I have to disagree. Late on the buzzer, sure. Wrong answers, sure. But given that he's beaten Ken more than once, I can't see how he would feel outclassed.

I have to disagree. Late on the buzzer, sure. Wrong answers, sure. But given that he's beaten Ken more than once, I can't see how he would feel outclassed.

Maybe just a bad week? I know he's beaten him on multiple occasions in the past (I loved James' dig on Ken about that on night one :) ), but in this tournament, he just looks hopeless.

We watched when James was on and I thought he was an arrogant jerk. After learning how he has spent his earnings, my opinion of him has changed. I have no idea who Brad is and don't ever remember seeing him on the show. He seems hopelessly outmatched by Ken and James. I enjoy watching those two together. Did you see James tweet about his wife wanting him to role play as Ken and Ken's response? :rotfl: I'm not going to post or link it because it's naughty....but hilarious.

Poor Brad. I go in and out of watching Jeopardy, so I knew nothing about him. 😬 I attribute that to him being on when they had the 5 day rule. And I rarely watch Tournament of Champions, clearly that is where his winnings soared.

Brad has had awful luck with the DD. And as he said last night when chatting, it is the buzzer that is hurting him too. I am hoping he will get one win. I don't want it to solely be the Ken and James showdown, and unfortunately that is what it feels like at the moment.

And I laugh at Ken every night. His relief when he isn't sure about an answer is hysterical. He wants to win this one, bad! And playing aggressively is so hard for him, getting the DD almost becomes a feeling a dread. :laughing:

James is just awkward and that can come across as arrogance at times. I like his sense of humor.

Poor Brad. He just isn't fast enough on that buzzer, but he did win 4 million already, so I'll have to stop feeling sorry for him. LOL

Actually, I'd really like to see Andy Saunders get the job after Alex steps down.

Who is Andy Saunders?

This guy...

He hosts a podcast game show called, Complete the List. The guy is really quick-witted and would bring with him a whole team of show contributors.

I had one too...Morticia Addams!
What was the question/answer? I missed the show last night. I'm just curious, because I met Barbara Jean Day, the woman who was the inspiration for Morticia, back in the early 90s.

Team James here. I certainly respect Ken, but James was more of a game-changer.

What was the question/answer? I missed the show last night. I'm just curious, because I met Barbara Jean Day, the woman who was the inspiration for Morticia, back in the early 90s.

Team James here. I certainly respect Ken, but James was more of a game-changer.

I think you're right that James was a game-changer. What's interesting in this tournament is that James is playing his same game. Ken has adapted to a more James style and is coming out on top. I really enjoyed watching James play, but it's like Ken is beating him at his own game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter