Pop Century Room Renovations

We had an issue with our airconditioning too. We actually had it stop working, We were told that you can't set it below a certain temp or it will just stop working. So we had them set it and just left it alone.
That's kind of silly. If it's hot outside you should be able to set it to whatever temp suits your family.

Just back. Checked in on Thursday night. Had a preferred room reserved, faxed and make request over the phone for a refurbished room. Was placed in building 5. Went to the front desk when we got there to see about switching to refurbished even if it wasn't preferred. They couldn't find me anything for that day or for the next day. Check in CM told me no preferred rooms were finished yet. I told her she was wrong but didn't argue the point, why bother. By Sunday all of building 10 was open with the exception of one or two specific rooms which still had the paper in the window. Two sections of building 6 were closed down but one was still being used. We saw them carting the murphy beds along the walkways. We used housekeeping and they came every day and even came back later one day when we were in the room when they came to clean. On the last day we requested late check out and were given a 1:00 check out which was awesome. Oh and for what its worth the air was set to 65 when we arrived and it was freezing in our room. Every night I turned it a little higher and found 68 to be ideal.

Most hotels have a sign out as to handle your towels and if you hang them up that means you plan to reuse them. Since we want fresh towels we follow hotel standard instructions, put them on floor. They are fairly organized, all together next to the tub.

And it annoys me that 99% of the time hotels will replace my carefully hanged towels.

Leaving them on the floor to be picked up and replaced by housekeeping is perfectly fine, and unless housekeeping don't come it is not an issue. For some reason I was given the impression that people opted out of housekeeping, yet left their wet towels in a pile to grow mold for days and days.

We had an issue with our airconditioning too. We actually had it stop working, We were told that you can't set it below a certain temp or it will just stop working. So we had them set it and just left it alone.

Ah, good to know. It always seemed to be blowing cold whenever I checked, but I set my AC to 67 to sleep at night at home, so I definitely noticed it wasn't as cold as it said.

And it annoys me that 99% of the time hotels will replace my carefully hanged towels.

Leaving them on the floor to be picked up and replaced by housekeeping is perfectly fine, and unless housekeeping don't come it is not an issue. For some reason I was given the impression that people opted out of housekeeping, yet left their wet towels in a pile to grow mold for days and days.
I've had that happen, too. We like to conserve water so we will hang our towels to dry so we can reuse them, but the hotel still ends up taking them.

I've had that happen, too. We like to conserve water so we will hang our towels to dry so we can reuse them, but the hotel still ends up taking them.

We always hang our towels to re-use (unless we're staying for longer than a few days), and I don't think housekeeping has EVER not replaced them. I think those little placards boasting how to be environmentally friendly and to hang your towels if you want to reuse them are just a tool in a bigger psychology experiment.

For some reason I was given the impression that people opted out of housekeeping, yet left their wet towels in a pile to grow mold for days and days.
This was my impression too. I've read many posts saying that housekeeping will bring fresh towels to people who opt out. But I haven't read any posts about the old towels being collected by housekeeping. I find it hard to believe that all guests who opt of housekeeping will be responsible and organized enough to carry their used towels to the pool towel bins. Maybe I'm wrong. I just see a lot of moldy towels every time I read about how guests can get new towels with the housekeeping opt out.

I think if they want to keep this opt out going, they need to offer some type of 'replenishing service'. Housekeeping can come in, empty trash, replenish towels and toiletries, and be done.

It would still save the time typically dedicated to making beds, cleaning the bathroom, doing floors, etc.

Seems much more efficient to me than running requested items to rooms sporadicly throughout the day.

But, as others have brought up, how much money they are saving in the long run doing any of this is debatable.

As a side note, the potential trash build up - inside the room or in the hallways or at the cans themselves from so many dumping room trash - is the most concerning to me.

Negatives:
The floor gets dirty so fast-I stayed in a test room for this refurb last January and the floor was my one major complaint (Granted, we did decline housekeeping on this trip, so maybe if we hadn't, I wouldn't have noticed. But three women with long hair meant there was hair literally everywhere by the time we left.)

We had a connecting room and could hear the family in the next room talking and moving around in the evenings...not loud enough to make out what they were saying, but we could definitely tell when the room was occupied.
The toilets are so loud, and we could hear every flush from the rooms around us.
There was something weird going on with the air conditioner. We set it to 67 to sleep, but it definitely never got down that low in the room despite what the thermostat said. It was never uncomfortable enough that we couldn't sleep, though, so we didn't bother to complain about it.

By the time we left yesterday afternoon, it looked like Building 10 was completely open and Building 6 was completely blocked off, but that's just an observation from walking by...I didn't walk around to look for sure.

We never heard any construction noise at night, but when we were walking to the car yesterday afternoon, there was a TON of echoing noise that I assume was from the gondola construction...at least that's where it sounded like it was coming from. It was loud and echoing, so maybe be aware of that if you take mid-day breaks.

Two trips, two refurbed rooms, both times dirty, stained floors ... my biggest fear prior to, and yes the noise levels were higher for us even though nothing changed about walls/doors. I think the hard surface floor and so much hard surface furniture (especially when murphy bed up) causes the room to echo ... so probably causes more sound to travel.

This was my impression too. I've read many posts saying that housekeeping will bring fresh towels to people who opt out. But I haven't read any posts about the old towels being collected by housekeeping. I find it hard to believe that all guests who opt of housekeeping will be responsible and organized enough to carry their used towels to the pool towel bins. Maybe I'm wrong. I just see a lot of moldy towels every time I read about how guests can get new towels with the housekeeping opt out.

This has been my issue all along and no one is really explaining what they do other than a couple, one hauled to pool and I think other said they put in a plastic bag in the hall. I've accidently left wet towels in washer and ended up throwing them away, nothing got them "clean" and fresh smelling again. At some point I was wasting more heated water and detergent than they were worth.

I think if they want to keep this opt out going, they need to offer some type of 'replenishing service'. Housekeeping can come in, empty trash, replenish towels and toiletries, and be done.

It would still save the time typically dedicated to making beds, cleaning the bathroom, doing floors, etc.

Seems much more efficient to me than running requested items to rooms sporadicly throughout the day.

But, as others have brought up, how much money they are saving in the long run doing any of this is debatable.

As a side note, the potential trash build up - inside the room or in the hallways or at the cans themselves from so many dumping room trash - is the most concerning to me.

To do that they would have to stop the Gift Card perk. They are already losing money on this, I think it's just being offered because they don't have enough housekeepers.

What I could see is the standard being what you describe and if you want CLEANING, then you pay by the day extra for it. I would hate that, and would pass on it since we very clean, but Disney has themselves in a staff quandary. With all the hotels and resorts being built, this will only get worse.

Hi everyone! I'm so sorry if this has been asked before, but will the King bed rooms still be king rooms post-refurbishment? Has anyone stayed in a refurbished room with a king bed? Thanks in advance :cutie:

What gave you that impression? I'm sure most people don't want to live like pigs. Don't forget, there are plenty of people who have been opting out of housekeeping for years because they don't want maids in their rooms at all. I'd imagine they are just hanging and reusing their towels most of the time.

We often took our used towels to the pool bin. Sometimes we would pick up clean towels from the pool area to use in our room. Anytime housekeeping came by to drop something off, they did offer to take any used towels away.

We never left trash in our room and I would never just stick a bag outside my door. We did tie up plastic bags of trash and deposit them in big trash cans outside. I'll admit it. That felt weird. I felt like an illegal dumper. But the trash cans were never overflowing and there was no smell from them. I assume they get emptied daily too? I don't really know.

Hi everyone! I'm so sorry if this has been asked before, but will the King bed rooms still be king rooms post-refurbishment? Has anyone stayed in a refurbished room with a king bed? Thanks in advance :cutie:

It’s several pages back now...
This post has pics of a refurb king room. It does not have a murphy, occupancy is still 2 guests. It does have updated furniture, etc. with a stand alone table and 2 chairs.

Enjoy your vacation!

I guess it lost the link — if you care to search, I think the post with pics is waaayyy back, maybe around post #150.

We always hang our towels to re-use (unless we're staying for longer than a few days), and I don't think housekeeping has EVER not replaced them. I think those little placards boasting how to be environmentally friendly and to hang your towels if you want to reuse them are just a tool in a bigger psychology experiment.
Probably makes them seem eco-friendly when really they just wash the towels anyway.
It looks like you can set it, but I guess if it is set below a certain temp it wont work.
Yeah I don't like that. I get pretty warm when I'm sleeping.

What gave you that impression? I'm sure most people don't want to live like pigs.
That was pretty much my point. I think I may just have read too many posts of "disaster scenarios" of opting out, I was stuck with a twisted post-apocalyptic image of hallways overflowing with trash bags and gigantic mountains of wet moldy towels in rooms.

I did not mean offense in any way, and if the opt-out option is still available in May, we will certainly choose that, as we usually (try to) reuse our towels anyway, and would use the do-not-disturb sign more often than not anyway. I just think that while most (and I do mean most, as in the vast majority) of people who do not want to opt out are very reasonable people doing it for reasons that are right for them, there has been a little bit too much emphasis on "worst-case scenarios" in some of the descriptions of the "after effects" of opting out.

All that aside, I am super excited about our upcoming trip, and first stay, at POP :mickeyjum

We never left trash in our room and I would never just stick a bag outside my door. We did tie up plastic bags of trash and deposit them in big trash cans outside. I'll admit it. That felt weird. I felt like an illegal dumper. But the trash cans were never overflowing and there was no smell from them. I assume they get emptied daily too? I don't really know.

Just re-read what I wrote hoping it didn't come across wrong. You did exactly what I would do. I was just meaning more along the lines of with all the extra trash in the outside containers they would need emptied more often. And if the goal is less work for staff, would they be? Hope that makes some sense. Definitely not faulting anyone for disposing of trash!

Just re-read what I wrote hoping it didn't come across wrong. You did exactly what I would do. I was just meaning more along the lines of with all the extra trash in the outside containers they would need emptied more often. And if the goal is less work for staff, would they be? Hope that makes some sense. Definitely not faulting anyone for disposing of trash!

Oh no, it didn't come across wrong at all! I agree. For me, the towels were easy to get rid of. But I almost felt guilty throwing out my trash. Sometimes, we'd go out later in the evening when it was dark so people wouldn't notice. :tiptoe:

I think they should have some clear guidelines about what to do with your trash. Maybe they do and I just never asked or maybe any trash can is fine since they get emptied frequently. I did notice that anytime I did drop my trash into an outdoor container, it seemed pretty empty.

Last edited:

I felt the same way!! It felt so odd to take trash from my room and toss it into the trash can right outside our door. We had a preferred pool view and I saw them empty the trash cans often around the pool. There never was a build up of trash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter