Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Dislike

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters
I agree that alcohol is problematic as well, but that isn't really the issue at hand -- deflecting the discussion doesn't really add to the content.

Since you asked, yes, in a perfect world, we would get rid of alcohol too -- a dangerous substance that has ruined more than a few lives -- but that is off-topic.

I disagree, I can't think of an argument against legalizing Weed that cannot be applied to Tobacco or alcohol.

I agree alchohol can be dangerous for some and has ruined lives, but disagree that the few should ruin it for the many. Not to mention that the harm created by banning it would be worse than it being legal and controlled (like the argument legalizing weed).

As far as your personal stance, if we banned everything that someone took a moral offence to, there would be little left

Several kids in my high school have been taken away in ambulances because of vaping. It's not safe. Our school nurse has quite a bit to say about the topic, and I do trust her facts.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. The BMJ has made it clear that when used correctly, with a good quality inhaler and the right mix, vaping can be a decent alternative to smoking and has few side effects. It does quality that there is no such thing as a perfect cure and there are risks, but the are relatively uncommon. Yes, you do get people who get lung damage, but usually they are using cheap inhalers or are sucking the vape instead of just tasting it.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. The BMJ has made it clear that when used correctly, with a good quality inhaler and the right mix, vaping can be a decent alternative to smoking and has few side effects. It does quality that there is no such thing as a perfect cure and there are risks, but the are relatively uncommon. Yes, you do get people who get lung damage, but usually they are using cheap inhalers or are sucking the vape instead of just tasting it.

And the NHS agrees...

https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/for-your-body/quit-smoking/using-e-cigarettes-vapes-to-quit-smoking/

View attachment 359241

I make indica capsules for bed and use about 3 puffs of a hybrid vape and I get EIGHT HOURS .. which may not seem like a big deal to most but when your literally suffering getting regular amounts of sleep is basically a miracle.This is now my night time meds , it USE to be two ( yes two ) ambien , z quill and two Valium ... so this is 100% better for me and even with the other stuff I only slept maybe 3 hours .
Sleep is EVERYTHING.Good for you!

Underage drinking is prevalent. Minors are already smoking pot, I dont expect that to change much, but we can stop them from dealing with gangs and ending g up on harder drugs.
All the "Weed is a gateway drug" is only true because kids are being encouraged by the dealers to try other stuff, often free to start. Legal dispensaries will not have that issue.
I’m not sure if you’re referring to the new Canadian legislation or something elsewhere, but as of now the only people that will still need to buy illicitly from dealers here are kids, and possessing and consuming while underage is still illegal. There was a lot of interesting polling done recently asking regular users where they will source their drug. The majority said they will buy it wherever it’s cheapest and will keep buying from illicit dealers if the retail prices aren’t favourable.

:scratchin It will be interesting to see how the drug trade, gangs and organized crime react to the new situation. In theory it’s a game-changer for their revenue stream and one supposes they won’t just shrug and move on. The security around the retail stores is intense and the locations of the large-scale production facilities is shrouded in secrecy.

You started with the incivility. But it's always the fault of those that disagree with you.

I never said a single uncivil thing to you. Apparently your reading comprehension skills need a bit of work. (that part might qualify)

You just got upset that you made a mistake while trying to be a smart @$$ by posting pictures of grape drinks. Your response proves you trying to be funny as you got really upset at the idea that you might not know non-alcoholic wine is a thing. A lot of people don't as it's not very common. WHICH WS MY POINT TO BEGIN WITH. I called you out on it. Civilly. I didn't call you dumb or make fun of you. I did use your same sarcastic tone though.

I pointed out your mistake, provided an answer as to why I believed you were incorrect, and then provided a reason why it applies to my point.

If that is uncivil, well fine.

I’m not sure if you’re referring to the new Canadian legislation or something elsewhere, but as of now the only people that will still need to buy illicitly from dealers here are kids, and possessing and consuming while underage is still illegal.

Underage drinkers get their alcohol from legal stores, weed will be no different

Underage drinkers get their alcohol from legal stores, weed will be no different
:confused3 Could be I guess, although I don’t know why they would bother figuring out how. Kids that use are obviously already part of a supply chain and illicit dealers didn’t just give up and go home at midnight on the 17th.

Being more safe than smoking doesn't make it safe, it just makes it less terrible than a more terrible thing. I think vaping is just as dumb as smoking even though it is less dangerous.

I'm not sucking anything into my lungs.

Please cite your sources.
Apologize I can't keep up with threads here....

I also apologize that I don't have all the various news documentaries recorded that I have seen over the years on television of them testing people who drove sober, then were evaluated driving under the influence.

I also have my own personal experience of which was long before the cell phone era so I don't have that to show either.

Something to keep in mind is just because it is legal doesn't mean you can do it. There was a case here where someone was fired for failing a drug test in a state where it was legal. The firing was upheld on appeal because a company can still have a policy against having the drug in your system even if it is legal and you partook off the clock.
You mention legal in a particular state, which I then assume you mean in the US. It is still a federal illegal drug.

You mention legal in a particular state, which I then assume you mean in the US. It is still a federal illegal drug.

Yes, the US. I was just pointing out that even if pot is legal where you are your company can still mandate you don't smoke it even off the clock unless you have enough time between smoking it and being back at work for it to completely leave your system. Something legal can still be against company policy. That was all I was trying to point out.

Being more safe than smoking doesn't make it safe, it just makes it less terrible than a more terrible thing. I think vaping is just as dumb as smoking even though it is less dangerous.

I'm not sucking anything into my lungs.

And that is your choice. One I happen to agree with.

BUT:

Do you eat solely organic foods without any GMO's? Because some would say doing so is as dumb as smoking. Should we ban all GMO foods? (hot debate)

Do you eat meat? Vegans would tell you that is as dangerous as smoking too. Should we ban all meat?

How about cars? Folks keep using kids and the dangers to kids as a reason not to legalize as it is dangerous. Well, the leading cause of death for people 14-24 is automobile accidents. But cars never come to the table as something we should make illegal. (And yes I know a lot of them are attributed to alcohol which is why though I back legalization, I think driving while high is moronic and should be illegal and heavily enforced. )

How about sugar? Do you eat any processed sugar? Dollars to donuts sugar kills (maybe) as many people as smoking does. True, it's not as invasive to others as smoking is which is why I back no smoking in public type laws for the most part. But it certainly contributes to the health issues in the US. (I have to remember this is a Canadian thread but I think it still applies)

Of course I'm using hyperbole to get my point across which on this site seems to be lost on some. (and I'm not saying you Greatlakes, you did not do that)

Yes, the US. I was just pointing out that even if pot is legal where you are your company can still mandate you don't smoke it even off the clock unless you have enough time between smoking it and being back at work for it to completely leave your system.

Which unfortunately sometimes can be as along as 30 days depending on your body type and activity level.

I have a feeling as time passes and more and more states go to legalization, you may see a shift in company policies around marijuana use. Especially if it is ever federally legalized. Maybe.

And that is your choice. One I happen to agree with.

BUT:

Do you eat solely organic foods without any GMO's? Because some would say doing so is as dumb as smoking. Should we ban all GMO foods? (hot debate)

Do you eat meat? Vegans would tell you that is as dangerous as smoking too. Should we ban all meat?

How about cars? Folks keep using kids and the dangers to kids as a reason not to legalize as it is dangerous. Well, the leading cause of death for people 14-24 is automobile accidents. But cars never come to the table as something we should make illegal. (And yes I know a lot of them are attributed to alcohol which is why though I back legalization, I think driving while high is moronic and should be illegal and heavily enforced. )

How about sugar? Do you eat any processed sugar? Dollars to donuts sugar kills (maybe) as many people as smoking does. True, it's not as invasive to others as smoking is which is why I back no smoking in public type laws for the most part. But it certainly contributes to the health issues in the US. (I have to remember this is a Canadian thread but I think it still applies)

Of course I'm using hyperbole to get my point across which on this site seems to be lost on some. (and I'm not saying you Greatlakes, you did not do that)

I don't necessarily disagree with your premise but don't see them as the same discussion. There is a difference between sub-optimal and plain out bad. The sugar thing is a whole other argument and drastically reducing processed carbs and sugar is something I think is badly needed in our society as we slowly kill ourselves with our diet but that is an entirely different topic.

I'm cautious but lean more towards happy about it. BUT I do think marijuana especially with teenagers or before the brain is fully developed not a good thing. Personally I have experimented when younger a few times and never liked it, made me feel paranoid, disconnected with people. But if you like it and it works for you and relaxes you and you are of age, or helps with pain, good for you. I also don't like how people were being put in jail and it affecting their records for life etc. But I think like any drug, it affects people differently. I know someone who smoked it regularly and it wasn't good for them, they did get off years later, and they themselves don't believe in it being legal. One thing I don't agree with is when they say it's perfectly safe.

I'm cautious but lean more towards happy about it. BUT I do think marijuana especially with teenagers or before the brain is fully developed not a good thing. Personally I have experimented when younger a few times and never liked it, made me feel paranoid, disconnected with people. But if you like it and it works for you and relaxes you and you are of age, or helps with pain, good for you. I also don't like how people were being put in jail and it affecting their records for life etc. But I think like any drug, it affects people differently. I know someone who smoked it regularly and it wasn't good for them, they did get off years later, and they themselves don't believe in it being legal. One thing I don't agree with is when they say it's perfectly safe.
This I agree with , while I have my MMJ card and think it’s a great thing for medical I don’t think young people should use it before their brains are fully developed... but .. the cat is already out of the bag on that one, it’s just something parents have to be vigilant about just like alcohol or tobacco.

Where did I assume it was theoretical or ideological to you ? I did no such thing. I am sorry for your heartbreak and how your personal experiences have influenced your opinions. Truly. I still disagree with your opinions and took issue with your characterization of harm reduction . We both have painful experiences with the subject, yet we see it very differently. That’s ok.
I’ll be leaving this conversation now, as it’s become emotional and personal and won’t go anywhere positive. I wish you well. :)

:grouphug: comfort in numbers...

I’m not sure if you’re referring to the new Canadian legislation or something elsewhere, but as of now the only people that will still need to buy illicitly from dealers here are kids, and possessing and consuming while underage is still illegal. There was a lot of interesting polling done recently asking regular users where they will source their drug. The majority said they will buy it wherever it’s cheapest and will keep buying from illicit dealers if the retail prices aren’t favourable.

:scratchin It will be interesting to see how the drug trade, gangs and organized crime react to the new situation. In theory it’s a game-changer for their revenue stream and one supposes they won’t just shrug and move on. The security around the retail stores is intense and the locations of the large-scale production facilities is shrouded in secrecy.

Look at the end of Prohibition.
And actually educate yourself on what has happened in Potrugal since they decriminalized ALL drugs 14 years ago.

And a little off topic but the same sky is falling g attitude was around when prostitution was legalized.

:confused3 Could be I guess, although I don’t know why they would bother figuring out how. Kids that use are obviously already part of a supply chain and illicit dealers didn’t just give up and go home at midnight on the 17th.

Why would they bother? While a)its a lot easier to ask your friend or older sibling to buy it on your behalf than go to a dealer, and b) while this age group may have connections the younger kids won't need to ever use them.

Again look at the end of Prohibition.

I'm just getting caught up here so if it has already been said, I'll say it again as a Guider of more than 25 years I think there will be a few ahem... comments from Girl Guides of Canada about this one.

Apparently, as long as she wasn't in the store, they were fine with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter