Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Dislike

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters
:confused3 Could be I guess, although I don’t know why they would bother figuring out how. Kids that use are obviously already part of a supply chain and illicit dealers didn’t just give up and go home at midnight on the 17th.

Wouldn't be much to figure out. They either have someone buy for them or them use the fake ID they use for alcohol.

There's an idea as to PRO - that legalisation will destroy the black market.

Sadly, this may be misplaced. I know of various places around town who will sell "dirty" cigarettes to underage smokers, laced with God knows what. The black market was challenges, but adapted :(

There is a reason why people where I live call it loco weed and say it causes birth defects. It gives women beards and boys breasts.

Wouldn't be much to figure out. They either have someone buy for them or them use the fake ID they use for alcohol.

What's the rules on ID? There are numerous state laws in the US on the purchase of alcohol. An ID isn't specifically required, but asking for one is an affirmative defense against selling to an underage customer.

The one that's really tough is buying pseudoephedrine, which is a precursor for making meth. Purchase is strictly limited to a certain amount per time period. As a uniform check, only a US state/territorial drive license or ID is allowed and every one is swiped for its magnetic strip and matched. They'll check the ID against a single database to see if it's fake, as well as checking against the periodic limits. It's kind of a strict requirement for any place that would sell it, although I don't think it would be workable for something more common such as alcoholic beverage sales.

There's an idea as to PRO - that legalisation will destroy the black market.

Sadly, this may be misplaced. I know of various places around town who will sell "dirty" cigarettes to underage smokers, laced with God knows what. The black market was challenges, but adapted :(

Around here, the shops are more expensive than the guy on the corner so I don’t think the black market will go away.

There is a reason why people where I live call it loco weed and say it causes birth defects. It gives women beards and boys breasts.

B7D73E71-5A2F-4D65-B68A-33AECEAF9BC1.jpeg

Around here, the shops are more expensive than the guy on the corner so I don’t think the black market will go away.

One example of where the black market was effectively killed is iTunes. Download a movie on demand in hi-def for a pittance. No need to pay the same amount for a lousy copy from a dodgy source. You could pirate copies online, but the quality isn't guaranteed, it's often laced with malware and it isn't as convenient as just logging on to iTunes.

View attachment 359461
:blush: Stupid, stupid question, I know, but I'm really curious about the pricing issue. Here in AB the mandated price is about $10.00/gram for the cheapest variety. Is a gram a lot? Prepared joints start at $7.00. How much would it cost for a modest recreational habit? What kind of money are we talking? (By way of comparison, cigarettes in Alberta are $16.00/pack right now.)

:blush: Stupid, stupid question, I know, but I'm really curious about the pricing issue. Here in AB the mandated price is about $10.00/gram for the cheapest variety. Is a gram a lot? Prepared joints start at $7.00. How much would it cost for a modest recreational habit? What kind of money are we talking? (By way of comparison, cigarettes in Alberta are $16.00/pack right now.)

I honestly have no idea..I’ve never bought any. That’s not a cop out, I usually exchange dinner with a friend for him to share his purchase LOL

I think the price is pretty much the same here and I’ve seen people say that an ounce should be about $5-6. One store here has already said they’ll be lowering prices in the next week or so.

$10 per gram is a pretty typical price here (having teens yields all sorts of interesting trivia). Interestingly enough, that's about the same as it was when I was a teen myself... it might be the only product I can point to that costs the same today as 20+ years ago!

What's the rules on ID? There are numerous state laws in the US on the purchase of alcohol. An ID isn't specifically required, but asking for one is an affirmative defense against selling to an underage customer.

The one that's really tough is buying pseudoephedrine, which is a precursor for making meth. Purchase is strictly limited to a certain amount per time period. As a uniform check, only a US state/territorial drive license or ID is allowed and every one is swiped for its magnetic strip and matched. They'll check the ID against a single database to see if it's fake, as well as checking against the periodic limits. It's kind of a strict requirement for any place that would sell it, although I don't think it would be workable for something more common such as alcoholic beverage sales.

You look under 25 they ask for ID. There is no swipe to check it against a database.

I disagree, I can't think of an argument against legalizing Weed that cannot be applied to Tobacco or alcohol ...

As far as your personal stance, if we banned everything that someone took a moral offence to, there would be little left
No, the comparison to alcohol /other drugs is a detraction from the point at hand. Even if the substances are similar, comparing them does nothing for the argument.

My personal stance isn't base upon moral offense. It's because of personal experience. No, I'm not an alcoholic, but my father was an alcoholic (as were his parents, his brother, and a number of his other family members), and that substance abuse ruined his life, led him to an early grave, and damaged my mother's life badly. It made my middle school /high school years miserable and held me back as a young adult -- and my stories aren't nearly as bad as some people's stories. Today I've largely overcome those negative influences, but but not all of my siblings have done as well. And for what? A drink? So pointless. So not worth the risks.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. The BMJ has made it clear that when used correctly, with a good quality inhaler and the right mix, vaping can be a decent alternative to smoking and has few side effects. It does quality that there is no such thing as a perfect cure and there are risks, but the are relatively uncommon. Yes, you do get people who get lung damage, but usually they are using cheap inhalers or are sucking the vape instead of just tasting it.
You can't disagree that multiple kids have been taken away from my high school in ambulances because they were vaping at school. Clearly, vaping is dangerous. Sure, it's less damaging than cigarettes, but even if you aren't talking about the time necessary for lung damage to set in, it's far from safe. Our school nurse gave us a talk about staff meeting, and she discussed what it does to the heart rate; specifically, she talked about kids who come in with their heart rates at 200+, and she's scared for them -- but they say they feel great, light as a feather. Scary stuff.

Do you eat solely organic foods without any GMO's? Because some would say doing so is as dumb as smoking. Should we ban all GMO foods? (hot debate)

Do you eat meat? Vegans would tell you that is as dangerous as smoking too. Should we ban all meat?
Yes, it's hyperbole, but it's also another analogy that falls flat. Whether we choose healthy foods or not, we NEED to eat. No one needs these recreational drugs.

I don't know. If I were inclined to buy drugs -- which I think I've made it clear, I'm not -- I'd buy from a store, even if it were more expensive. You could know a store isn't going to sell you a product laced with rat poison (or whatever else some people put into street drugs), and you'd feel pretty sure the guy behind the counter isn't going to pull out a gun /rob you.

I honestly have no idea..I’ve never bought any. That’s not a cop out, I usually exchange dinner with a friend for him to share his purchase LOL

I think the price is pretty much the same here and I’ve seen people say that an ounce should be about $5-6. One store here has already said they’ll be lowering prices in the next week or so.
There's got to be something out of whack about that - there are 28 grams in an oz., which would make licensed store product around $280/oz. :confused:. And the way I understand the government price-fixing, I'm not entirely sure the retail places are free to change it on their own. https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-does-cannabis-cost-across-canada-1.4138585

One example of where the black market was effectively killed is iTunes. Download a movie on demand in hi-def for a pittance. No need to pay the same amount for a lousy copy from a dodgy source. You could pirate copies online, but the quality isn't guaranteed, it's often laced with malware and it isn't as convenient as just logging on to iTunes.
Piracy is alive and well and growing. It has not been killed by iTunes.

Ronandannette: In answer to your question about cost, If memory serves me right, I recall a news cast here reporting $300 - $500 a month but don't quote me. :duck:

Ronandannette: In answer to your question about cost, If memory serves me right, I recall a news cast here reporting $300 - $500 a month but don't quote me. :duck:

At $10/gram, that level of spending would be way more than recreational use IMO. For perspective, that would be enough for somewhere between 60 and 125 joints... That's a daily habit, not a recreational one, and about the same or more than the medicinal users I know consume.

But there's always a lot of grey area in gauging something as subjective as "recreational use"... For one person that might mean passing around a joint with friends on Saturday night while for someone else it might mean a few puffs every day but never getting very stoned while for a third person it might be getting absolutely baked every weekend, just as some people define casual drinking as a bottle of wine between friends on ladies night while others have a glass with dinner every night and still others feel like their use is casual as long as their weekend binge drinking doesn't get in the way of making it to work on Monday.

You look under 25 they ask for ID. There is no swipe to check it against a database.

We live in an age based on nearly instant transfer of information. Fake IDs should be near impossible to use if matched against a database that includes the electronic photo. That's the case at international borders where travel document databases are shared, and with the central database of state DL/IDs that I mentioned for buying one specific medication.

I'd think that they would want to establish something like this for purchases of legal recreational drugs.

We live in an age based on nearly instant transfer of information. Fake IDs should be near impossible to use if matched against a database that includes the electronic photo. That's the case at international borders where travel document databases are shared, and with the central database of state DL/IDs that I mentioned for buying one specific medication.

I'd think that they would want to establish something like this for purchases of legal recreational drugs.
I wouldn’t trust any such database to be accurate or secure.

https://medium.com/@lisabuffalo/my-...istry-of-pseudoephedrine-abusers-8d6a9225439d

38 states have adopted NPLEx.

Another example of let’s put an undue burden on law abiding citizens to not even make a dent in a crime.

I wouldn’t trust any such database to be accurate or secure.

https://medium.com/@lisabuffalo/my-...istry-of-pseudoephedrine-abusers-8d6a9225439d

38 states have adopted NPLEx.

Another example of let’s put an undue burden on law abiding citizens to not even make a dent in a crime.

Limits are one issue. However, I wasn't necessarily thinking about the limits but simply matching up IDs to some sort of central clearinghouse to verify that it hasn't been altered (such as photos), reported lost/stolen, or isn't otherwise fake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter