RoFR back??

In addition to DVD needing all the points needing to come from the same unit, doesn’t DVD need to have points for the UY sold available?

Pretty sure they can change the use year. Not sure they like doing it.

A few years ago before the “great ROFR of 2022”, I wanted 60 more PVB points direct with a Feb use year. I also wanted 2020’s points because it was the end of January (so double points come Feb 1 essentially).

If I didn’t get double points, I wasn’t going to buy.

Guide said he was going to try to get it for me but no promises and told me it might be a few days.

For whatever reason, it took about 4 business days instead of a few hours like normal.

I don’t know for sure that’s what they did, but it was an unusual delay for direct.

In addition to DVD needing all the points needing to come from the same unit, doesn’t DVD need to have points for the UY sold available?

For example, if they sell someone a Sept UY VGF, they need 2022 Sept UY points, 2023, UY points, and 2024 points for that sale.

Do these need to be from the actual contracts for the unit?
DVD can change the UY of points. So if you would like to buy 150 points at AKV with a Oct UY, then DVD would need on paper that the 150 points coming from the same deeded unit. Then DVD can take points from other UY's and changing the UY to fit your Oct UY.

Pretty sure they can change the use year. Not sure they like doing it.
Yes they can change the UY of points.

A few years ago before the “great ROFR of 2022”, I wanted 60 more PVB points direct with a Feb use year. I also wanted 2020’s points because it was the end of January (so double points come Feb 1 essentially).

I would like to points out that you are not getting points every 2/1-Yearly. The points are already there, but they are ready to use for a reservation starting 2/1 every year, unless you ofc borrow from them.

If I didn’t get double points, I wasn’t going to buy.

Guide said he was going to try to get it for me but no promises and told me it might be a few days.

For whatever reason, it took about 4 business days instead of a few hours like normal.
I am guessing in your situation they literally needed to see if they had anything with the expiring year’s points left. They can’t conjure points on a contract, if the old points had been used on all their contracts, they’d have nothing to sell you. They may have also had to transfer some points around between contracts to make it work. That would explain the 4 days.

For example, if they sell someone a Sept UY VGF, they need 2022 Sept UY points, 2023, UY points, and 2024 points for that sale.

Do these need to be from the actual contracts for the unit?

They can change the UY of points so that is not an issue,,what is important is that they have to, as you say, have the points there

For example, if someone wants a Dec UY and all they have are points in a June UY, changing that won’t help because June UYs are already in their 2023 UY.

But, if they had an Oct UY, and there are still 2022 points there, it can be changed to a Dec UY to sell.

The stripped contracts that we have seen taken won’t be putting any points back into the “pot” until 2024, so nothing to sell.

I think even if it is a little profit, They must have so much interest in VGF that they are willing to only get a couple thousand back in profit

I think even if it is a little profit, They must have so much interest in VGF that they are willing to only get a couple thousand back in profit
VGF is that super nice house that you always wanted to get invited to. When you finally get there you have to take your shoes off and are afraid to sit on the furniture. You then walk over to Poly (your real friends house) and have a Dole Whip with a Rum shot and relax.

The stripped contracts that we have seen taken won’t be putting any points back into the “pot” until 2024, so nothing to sell.

When Disney needs more points in the “pot”, do they tend to buy double points/loaded contracts?

Conversely, if they have a large “pot” already, do they ROFR more stripped points? (In theory, should be a better value for them)

Or is this all part of the ROFR mystery?

While they can change the UY of the points within the unit, they have to have the points available. Thats why some people with Aug UY were unable to buy VGF in July since there was no more Aug 2022 UY points and they had to wait until the Aug 2023 UY to buy. DVD isn't going to hold on to points towards the end of the UY if they can rent them out.

When Disney needs more points in the “pot”, do they tend to buy double points/loaded contracts?

Conversely, if they have a large “pot” already, do they ROFR more stripped points? (In theory, should be a better value for them)

Or is this all part of the ROFR mystery?

There are so many different reasons they take back contracts. One is to have them to sell.

But, selling sold out resorts is not..or never has been…a priority…which is why they price them so high.

They have taken, loaded, stripped, more expensive, less expensive and everything in between.

What is weird is that this is the first time I’ve seen them take contracts for resorts in active sales. And I’ve now seen reports of at least two or three VGF.

Plenty of points still for BPK so no need to build up points deeded to original building. So no clue what and why.

Not all of the CMs currently even know how to check if someone is DVC-Y or not. A waitress at Le Cellier tried telling me I had to have a printed card in order to get the discount and gave me a hard time over it. Creating this tiered system although would likely benefit me based on sheer number of points would be a nightmare for these mostly college aged cast members who really don’t care what tier of DVC you are or if you have it.
I think DVC Y should have a special super secret decoder ring and handshake - no RRR (Resale Riff-Raff) allowed…😂

Not all of the CMs currently even know how to check if someone is DVC-Y or not. A waitress at Le Cellier tried telling me I had to have a printed card in order to get the discount and gave me a hard time over it. Creating this tiered system although would likely benefit me based on sheer number of points would be a nightmare for these mostly college aged cast members who really don’t care what tier of DVC you are or if you have it.
This is why I came up with the idea of the "DVC Maybe" card:
You could also offer different levels of perks. Instead of just DVC No or DVC Yes, you could have an in between... DVC Maybe.
If you have the lower tier "DVC Maybe" Blue Card, it's totally up to the CM whether you get a perk or not. 🤣

Let’s play my favorite game called devils advocate …..
You are all gonna love it 😈

For the sake of argument and I bored,

What if Disney want to be the only or maybe just a large(st) player in the resale market?

And the new guidance was to take most contracts at or below 75 or 80 percent of direct pricing…..

Yes I know that’s probably not what they are doing, but since the ROFR metric is one of DVCs most closely held secrets….. maybe I don’t know

Hey friends - as the author of the post referenced on page 9 that I'm not allowed to quote because the anti-spam filter doesn't seem to like me, I'll add in with what I learned manually reviewing hundreds of contracts on the Orange County site. (Could a Mod ping me and help get that fixed so I can quote post 175 and 176?)

First things first: I do think that a more accurate description of the dataset is "Contracts where Disney was the Grantee, but it wasn't a foreclosure, and it wasn't a transfer in-lieu of foreclosure." and not necessarily that 100% of them are ROFR. There are definitely a couple in there that aren't ROFR, and are instead likely a buyer with buyer's remorse where Disney stepped in. (Looking at you, Doc 20230419978 at VGF and you Doc 20230005622 at RIV). But I do believe that most of them are ROFR until someone can give a better explanation for what's going on with them.

Foreclosures have a really distinct format. They are multi pages. There are newspaper filings of notice posted. Etc. Example of what a foreclosure looks like: Doc 20230380053

"Surrendered" Contracts when the owner gives it up in lieu of foreclosure also have a very distinct look to them. They are filed as "Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure". They look like this: Doc 20230381144

I didn't include any of those ("foreclosure" or "warranty deed transfer in lieu of foreclosure") in my dataset. All of the ones that I DID include look more like this: Doc 20230009656. This format looks just like a direct purchase agreement, but in reverse (where Disney is the grantee instead of the grantor). On most of them it even has the little palm tree and Mickey icons where input is needed just like everyone would recognize from when they bought direct.

So short of there being some other program that none of us have heard of where Disney proactively tries to directly buy contracts nearing distress, but AREN'T considered transfers in-lieu of foreclosure, I don't know what else they would be but ROFR.

I'm always eager to learn more! So if anyone has insight that I'm missing, I'm all ears!

Note: I tried to include direct links to the contracts referenced above, but the anti-spam filters prevented the reply :-( If you do a google search for orange county florida official records search you should be able to find the county website and search for the doc numbers I called out above.
Thats a cool site. Would save me a bunch of time looking those things up myself every now and then. Im pretty sure the VGF you mentioned was a "buyback" from one of the posters here. He explained how they had to buy it back from him rather than just cancel out the contract.

The only thought I would have on what the difference might be is if they use a different ROFR team for maybe private sales versus the ones that come through a broker. As you already know they have been active in the foreclosure auction process during this time. I have no idea if that is a different group within Disney that handles those things but that is about the only logic I could see with no real "taken" data here or on any of the resale sites that post that stuff when clearly there have been a handful of contracts that they have taken back over the last 7 months

There are so many different reasons they take back contracts. One is to have them to sell.

But, selling sold out resorts is not..or never has been…a priority…which is why they price them so high.

They have taken, loaded, stripped, more expensive, less expensive and everything in between.

What is weird is that this is the first time I’ve seen them take contracts for resorts in active sales. And I’ve now seen reports of at least two or three VGF.

Plenty of points still for BPK so no need to build up points deeded to original building. So no clue what and why.
Its a weird one. The only real logic in it is if they are close to selling out VGF and they just want word to spread in the resale community that VGF is going to be off limits under the current incentivized prices which are between $160 and $170 a point or so, Maybe they figure that will get people to just buy the contract direct instead,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter