Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
To start, the resorts that are now dog-resorts are off of our list of potential accommodations. We do not vacation at Disney World to spend time with dogs, due to concerns about cleanliness, health, safety and religious objections.

Hi BaronLaw,

Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what religion you practice? I took a great class about world religions in college, and if you don't mind sharing, I'd just be interested to hear what your religious objections to other people's dogs are.

Have a great day!

I've read throughout the entire thread, very interesting. I come down firmly on the side of the opposition but I have no illusions, the dog-resort policy will probably remain unless the cost outweigh the benefits, financially speaking.

Given this, a major concern is enforcement. For any rule to be effective-- act as a deterrent-- the penalty must be seen as more costly than the potential gain from the infraction and must be seen as a highly likely consequence to the commission of the infraction.

Let's think this over. Let's say a few dog enthusiasts gather on the beach by the Yacht and Beach Club to play with their dogs. What exactly will a cast member be instructed to do ?

My suspicion is that, aside from a verbal request to get off the beach, not much, especially if there are multiple guests at issue.

This leads to some potentially troublesome results. This type of infraction slowly becomes accepted and a common occurrence. Slowly but surely, the bounds of accepted dog owner behavior are expanded. Dogs on the beach leads to dogs by the pools, etc

Alternatively, Disney rule enforcement becomes something of a self-help system-- guests find themselves requesting offenders to cease the offending behavior or compel cast members, reluctantly, to enforce the rules.

This is just an example that comes to mind. I'm not sure what can be done to prevent this. This feels like a slow motion train wreck that cannot be stopped.

Given this, a major concern is enforcement. For any rule to be effective-- act as a deterrent-- the penalty must be seen as more costly than the potential gain from the infraction and must be seen as a highly likely consequence to the commission of the infraction.

Let's think this over. Let's say a few dog enthusiasts gather on the beach by the Yacht and Beach Club to play with their dogs. What exactly will a cast member be instructed to do ?

My suspicion is that, aside from a verbal request to get off the beach, not much, especially if there are multiple guests at issue.

I completely agree with this. That being said, while others might not want to say anything about the infraction, I have no problems telling a CM or saying something to the dog owners. Even Pluto can get in trouble sometimes at Walt Disney World.

Hi BaronLaw,

Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what religion you practice? I took a great class about world religions in college, and if you don't mind sharing, I'd just be interested to hear what your religious objections to other people's dogs are.

Have a great day!

Graham,

Greetings. I don't object to anybody having a dog and think they serve a valuable role in some instances, for example, in search and rescue missions.

I don't mind sharing my religion, I'm Muslim. I'm not very religious, more likely a view informed by background. The way some people observe religious practices even though not particularly religious. I'm a Chicago native and dogs have definitely taken over the urban scene. I'm used to their presence.

I would still object to the policy on grounds aside from religion, but these objections are a very real part of the international landscape and Disney has a global audience.

Nice to make your acquantaince.

The CM that called said she was with George K's office and that they decided to implement the policy due to the overwhelming positive response from having dogs at the resorts during the hurricane.
But did whoever made the decision consider that during the hurricane, pet owners could not go anywhere, they had to stay indoors with their dogs, therefore not leaving them unattended for long stretches? This is quite a different situation than those same owners spending all day out at the parks while the dogs spend all day closed up in the hotel rooms under normal conditions. Just a thought. I also thought it might be worth sending this thought to the people in charge mentioned at various spots in this thread, so I did.

Last edited:
And if they are roped/fenced off, which I would hope, how do you make the dog wait until they get to the proper area after they've been in the room for 7 hours.

With a male dog, very unlikely they will wait. As soon as they get on grass or near a shrub it will be all over. Whoever has made these decisions has obviously never visited a dog park.

it was a wonderful thing that disney allowed florida residents to evacuate with their pets. Gov. Scott requested this of all motels, hotels. etc. and it is wonderful that disney responded positively during that EMERGENCY, emergency is over. people responded nicely during said emergnecy.. it doesn't mean it's a good idea all the time.
if I was at a disneyresort during the huricane (and we actually would have been, had we not cut our trip short 2 days because of Irma) I would not mind barking dogs, I would be happy the people had a safe place to be.
that doesn't mean that I would be ok with barking dogs normally. sometimes we sleep in. sometimes we take afternoon naps.. I hate barking dogs. I am a light sleeper. letting a dog bark for an entire half hour before the owner is even notified?? ridiculous!!!!

Great photos of Walt with his dogs at home or office! Clearly a dog lover, like me!
Dan

Many that love dogs are against this. For one I would think it very cruel to leave a dog for 7 hours in a strange location. IMO

I can't even imagine how anyone thinks what occurred during the hurricane is similar to a regular day at WDW. The parks were closed, no fireworks and guests were required to stay at the resort. No one flew in with their dog so no Magical Express issues. Dogs were not left for hours unattended.

Guests that did not have a dog were more accepting of the situation due to the emergency, that will not be the case on a daily basis. They will complain.

Last edited:
With a male dog, very unlikely they will wait. As soon as they get on grass or near a shrub it will be all over. Whoever has made these decisions has obviously never visited a dog park.

That's a stereo type of male dogs. Currently have 2 and that couldn't be further from the truth. Keep in mind that at a dog park they are already there to relieve themselves or play or whatever. It is allowed if not even expected. It doesn't mean that a male dog can't or won't walk past a bush, tree etc. without relieving themselves.

Others say, just don't book at those 4 resorts if you are unable to be where a dog has been. Well, that sounds just fine and dandy, BUT what if, like us, we have our vacation booked and set up at POR and can't change it now???? Oh, too bad?

Ugh, I hadn't even considered dogs on DME. This just makes it worse for people with allergies!

I called. They can't move us because there's nothing available for our dates. They marked the reservation with the request to be away from dogs. That's all I can do. I plan to look into some off property options and then make up my mind on the reservation after reviewing those. so disappointed.
People with allergies and asthma may have a way to fight for their right to dog free room under ADA (Americans with disabilities act). I am by no means an expert in this but I would imagine that if they have to have a ramp for wheelchair bound, they would also need to accommodate someone with an allergy to something (a dog) that can be kept out. If I were allergic and were already booked at one of these resorts, I would demand they accommodate me with same or better resort with no charge to me and I would let them know you are protected under ADA. The cannot deny your equal enjoyment under these laws. If coming in contact with a non service animal causes you to suffer a reaction, they can probably be sued under this . I don't believe it is fair to place someone's desire to have a pet with them over someone's legitimate concern for their or their child's health. I wonder how much real thought went into this.

Where are the fences? What is to stop children running across the grass?

Nothing at all. Just like any other grassy outdoor park area you might come across I guess. Or indeed the street outside your house.

On the plus side, Disney are providing a signed disposal point for (responsible) owners to get ride of their dog's mess along with hygienic plastic bags.

Andre

Last edited:
OK, we're lucky we're not staying in any of the affected resorts. We do have one meal booked at POR. I don't want dogs on my holiday. My children don't want dogs on our holiday. Two of us have asthma.

We will not be back to WDW. Largely for other, much more significant reasons, but, this is making me realise how not going back to WDW is NOT a part of our sadness. Between the book your food 6 months out, book your own ride times 2 months out, diy style holiday (for the £12k I spent!?) the much less care than we saw previously, a whole raft of changes designed to NOT be for the customer's benefit, and now dogs, it's not a great holiday destination anymore.

Teaching the kids NOT to go in the lakes (which is not possible now) and NOT to put their hands into bushes, plants where they cannot see where they are going is fine, it's part of the interest factor of being somewhere new, and understanding different climates, queuing is part of the deal, being polite and considerate part of the deal EVERYWHERE we go, even when people think they don't need to extend us that courtesy. Understanding that some guests are going to feel like they are allowed to glare at or even criticise, my son for being autistic, not unique to disney world. being obliged to avoid dogs who are away from home, have been cooped up all day and will be all over the designated resorts, NOT something I think is part of a holiday.

Disney world is now so restrictive with all the planning and scheduling and now the avoiding dogs, that it really barely counts as a holiday at all, and I can definitely get more holiday for my money elsewhere. I used to be understanding, Disney is more expensive, because it is such a dream destination. I think it is losing that edge FAST.

People with allergies and asthma may have a way to fight for their right to dog free room under ADA (Americans with disabilities act). I am by no means an expert in this but I would imagine that if they have to have a ramp for wheelchair bound, they would also need to accommodate someone with an allergy to something (a dog) that can be kept out. If I were allergic and were already booked at one of these resorts, I would demand they accommodate me with same or better resort with no charge to me and I would let them know you are protected under ADA. The cannot deny your equal enjoyment under these laws. If coming in contact with a non service animal causes you to suffer a reaction, they can probably be sued under this . I don't believe it is fair to place someone's desire to have a pet with them over someone's legitimate concern for their or their child's health. I wonder how much real thought went into this.

They should help those who are booked now.

For the future, there are 20+ Dog-Free resorts

I think they are covered in terms of accommodation laws

Many people have allergies to dogs.
Many people have religious/cultural objections to dogs
Many people have experience based fears of dogs
Many people simply do not like dogs
Many people do not want to experience dogs on a vacation they have spent thousands of dollars on.

They should help relocate anyone who is currently booked at one of these resorts and is unhappy with this new policy.

Going forward, there are 20+ Dog-Free resorts for the people with concerns such as you mentioned

Many magical places to stay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter